• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ha i now hold the record for smallest Harddrive ever to apear on here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biohazard

Disabled
I was tking apart an old laptop the size of my desktop, lol and i took out the HDD and looked at for a few mins! well its useless cos its to old to plug to the ide system so im gonna mod it and as i thought that i looked the the top and it said get this (it bigger then my 60gig and heavier) well it said 60mb, LMAO its just soo funny to find a 60mb! i mean OLDY or wot its not just oldu its a classic and i have 2 more of them, wow 180mb that has no perpose wot so ever, well this is where my modding starts!

while i was doing a hardware course in school i was taking apart a old HDD to look at the platters. this harddrive was the size of a toaster and it was only 50 megs!.. i could not belive it..

I used to maintain DataGeneral systems ..
The old Nova 4's had a 5 meg open air drive .. that weighed in at a little over 235 Lbs ...
And the system had a wopping 16 K of core memory !!
And the scary thing was it was running a 20 lane grocery store and never skipped a beat ..

Those were the dayz ....

I got you one better :) 20MB in my 8086.... And what's really amazing is that I simply CAN'T fill that sucker up!

I took my 386's 120MB HD apart, and I must say that though the first 5 minutes are cool, it get's kinda boring after that. I took a screwdriver and shoved the arm around while the computer was running (I'd only lose my precious Win 3.1 desktop :rolleyes: ) and made the computer freeze. Still works like a charm today. I still don't see how the head is only barely off the suface.... Since it looked plenty far away to me!

JigPu

I remember the old 5 mb hard drives. And the 1st HD I had was a 20 mb HD in a Tandy Computer.

My order of HD evolution goes along like:
20mb, 40, 105, 120, 150, 170, 200, 212, 250, 512, 1gig, 5g, 13g, 20g, 30g, 40g, 60g. This inludes multiple HDs of the same number. All total I've probably had about 50 HDs of the above sizes and double that number for systems I have made for family and friends.

Also does anyone remember the old Winchester floppies?
I use to work with them.

Cheers,
Mike

Brings back memories

The first HD I installed (meaning it did not come with the computer) was a 10 MB hard drive in a ISA card format. I installed it on a 8088 AT&T computer. (yes 8088, not 8086). That was circa 1989-90, my sophmore year in college. I remember it as one of my biggest purchases ever... lol.

I have seen some really old ones...
you know the 150RPM drives that have a belt spinning the platters... and its bigger than a Micro ATX case.

I have an old 10mb hard drive in a 386, it was a really old computer used in a small company selling pools. They only had customer records on it.

Back