• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP Bus or Temperature??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PostalWorker

Registered
I posted this on video thread as well but thought you guys may have a little more info as its an Asus P4B266 board

I have been slowly raising the FSB on my system to get the most outa my 1.6a - presntly at 2133 @ 133 FSB & 1,5V core but have run up against a road block which I believe is a temp induced problem on my vid card??

If I go above 143 fsb (and adjusting the vcore to 1.625) the system boots into XP fine but will crash on wolfenstein durring loading. (all other non 3d apps run fine).
When I turn off the system and reboot then I loose the video display all together (monitor is getting a signal as there is no "check signal" etc displayed). Windows appears to boot normaly (even though I can't see it).
Turning off the system and leaving for 5 mins seems to cure the problem - which leads me to suspect the temp problem.

p.s. CPU / Board temps are fine at 32 and 29 respectively

Does this sound reasonable or is there something else that could be causing the problem.
As anyone experienced the same and if so is there a good vid chip cooling system that might help??

Could it be the increased bus speed is adversely affecting the AGP and if so is there a way to lock the AGP bus speed independantly of the FSB - and if yes then How and at what speed?

thx for any input

I honestly think it is your video card that is overheating or crashing not because of the AGP port, allthough i have my gf2 ultra overclocked and somehow managed to fry my agp port on my motherboard....so once i get a new mobo back from asus im going to run my video card stock, no more overclocked video card....just a caution.

Raising the AGP slot speed should have no effect on your video card temps so I don't think heat is your problem. Your video card shouldn'tbe heating up unless your overclocking the card itself. It's probably crashing cause the AGP is out of spec, at 143Mhz your AGP slot is running at 71.5 instead of 66. It's rumored setting the memory optimization to Turbo 1 on these boards locks the PCI/AGP speed but it locks them out of spec at 36/72 which isn't gonna help you if your card is flaking out at 71.5.

non 3d apps

it could just be that 3d apps, which i understand to be more cpu intensive than must apps, are taxing your cpu.

have you tried higher core voltages???

i'd try that before i wrote off my video card as the problem.

but read this:

at 143fsb 35.75mhz is your pci freq since you are in pci=1/4fsb territory.

at an fsb of 107.5 your pci frequency would be 35.75 mhz too - because below 133mhz fsb you are in pci=1/3fsb territory.

so try this:

set your fsb to 107fsb and 108fsb.

if your game crashes, you can be more sure that it's not the cpu causing the crash, but rather something directly affected by the pci frequency.

if your game doesn't crash at this lower fsb, you can be more sure that it's not something affected by the pci frequency, but rather your cpu more likely not being able to cope with the work.

PEACE!
BdK

and...

and...

if your test at 107 and 108fsb doesn't crash your system, then i'd up my vcore voltage.

one little loop of wire in your socket shorting two pins isn't that hard to do (if you can see good).

unless you're SKEERED!

PEACE!
-BdK:burn:

Back