• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC1066 for $125 per 256MB stick on ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vizon

Registered
ComponentsDirect.com is offering the Kingston PC1066 non-ECC RDRAM for $125 per 256MB stick. On GoogleGear it is $160 a stick. Um, why so cheap? Fraud?

Insight, please :) Also, which is better: Kingston of samsung :)

Someone I know just got some kingston 1066 today and said it will run at a max fsb of 142 at x4.
I don't know if that is good or bad for 1066.
I am pretty sure the review of the iwill 850e on the main page used samsung 1066 and got to 145fsb at x4 with a e.s. stick.

"max fsb of 142 at x4"...what does the x4 mean??...sorry i have to update myself again...i've stopped and now i have to start again...haha...thx...

x4 means the memory is running at 4x the fsb like the cpu.
If you have to use x3 then the memory is only running 3x the fsb and will give you lower performance.

Be careful of componentsdirect. I think I read at the [H] where they were selling PC800 as PC1066 by covering up the PC800 marking with a PC1066 label. It's covered in the news for Wed June 12 3rd edition.

I think that 142 x 4 would be fairly good. I've just recently started looking into setting up a rdram system and had to figure out their speed marks. From what ive read so far it appears that PCXXXX is equal in MHz to XXXX/2. So PC1066 = 533Mhz. Now divide that by memory multiple and youll end up with your FSB, 533/4= 133MHz. So in this case, 142*4*2 = 1136 MHz or PC1136. Also that setting of x3 or x4 is used so that you can jack the FSB up higher without throwing the memory out of wack. 180MHz FSB x 3 = 540 MHz = PC1080
133MHz FSB x 4 = 533 MHz = PC1066

I also heard over at asus boards that components direct was selling remarked samsung as well/ just still rumor tho. I got mine from Mushkin, and it is real 1066/32N's, in reality it is PC1200.

Big Lar said:
I also heard over at asus boards that components direct was selling remarked samsung as well/ just still rumor tho. I got mine from Mushkin, and it is real 1066/32N's, in reality it is PC1200.
How high can you set it? I would love to get something that can do over PC1200.:D

Unfortunately, I havn't been able to push my 2.2a past 136fsb yet,(2992), However the ram is running at 4x inturbo mode at that speed, guess soon I need to go to the dip switches :D

With a mobo with 3x RAM settings, 1200=200MHz FSB=50% Intel Overclock=:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . I wonder if putting a 60W pelt/VGA waterblock(both 50x50), if you could make it run 210, which, with a new 2.5 and a really good waterblock setup, 4GHz. Just a thought, but a wonderful one nonetheless.:beer: :beer:

I bought some Samsung PC1066 RDRAM modules from componentsdirect.com and they were remarked PC800. They tried to be clever by sticking a "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker over the part of the label that said PC800. After several phone calls, they've agreed to send me some Kingston modules instead.

DON'T BUY FROM COMPONENTSDIRECT.COM

Here's what the Better Business Bureau has to say abou them.

Bureau File Experience

We rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record based on a pattern of unanswered customer complaints. Some complainants allege the company fails to deliver ordered products. Other customers complain the company fails to issue refunds for returns or cancelled orders. The company responds to some complaints by shipping late orders, or, in some cases issuing requested refunds. A few complaints are closed as disputed, the customers are not always satisfied with the company's response. Many other complaints remain unanswered. The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or dissapprove of any company, product or service.

Good move, cmcquistion, if the BBB says they do not support it, do not buy from there, period. Googlegear is Biz Rate approved, VeriSign Secure, and BBB supported, so it is pretty good.:D

Yeah, I should have checked resellerratings.com

componentsdirect.com has a rating of 3.40/10.

I've never seen a score so low.

I was gonna get that same RAM from Components Direct but I checked ResellerRatings.com (thank god) and saw their score and tossed that option out the window :D

Still looking for a good place to get some good 1066 at. Thinking about Directron but looking there now it won't give me aprice anymore (was at like $130 for a 256MB stick) cause it's sold out (maybe that's a good sign though).

You sure you mean Mushkin sells Kingston RAM?

I might just wait for Directron to restock their Kingston 1066 cause I haven't seen much of a better deal than 2 256MB sticks for $256.

Back