• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No difference from 512-768

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanSr

I just upgraded my ram from 512 to 768 and I can't see any improvment. I've checked games, all my photo programs, and my DV software. right now it looks the same.....

Its cas 2 pc 133

My system still runs great and I'm not complaining, just wonderin if this is normal?

I would say that is totally normal. Really the only time you need a memory upgrade is if your swapping info to and from your HDD which means you have a lot of programs open and are working on large files that take up more then the amount of RAM your working on.

In fact a normal user won't get much of a performance boost at all over 256 MB of RAM.

What OS?
I went from 256 to 512, noticed a difference...
The from 512 to 768 , no difference and I had to lower my FSB...
so i am back to 512 (XP)

I'm using XP Pro

I haven't had to drop my fsb so I'll stay with it, maybe it makes a lil difference even if I can't see it.
its better than having 256 sittin on my shelf:)

Like Tracert said, you only need to have enough ram to eliminate hard disk swapping. If you were working with huge video files, cad files, or have many many many images open in photoshop you will see a difference.

I would love to switch but I just opened my digital photography studio so money is really tight.

and with AGP 8X commin out soon I'll wait to see what else comes out

jay said:
What OS?
I went from 256 to 512, noticed a difference...
The from 512 to 768 , no difference and I had to lower my FSB...
so i am back to 512 (XP)

your right. Right now I am using Win 95 with an 8Gb and 2Gb HDs a 933 Coppermine and Gigabyte board and 160Mb PC-133. I loaded XP and figured out that those PC vendors trying to hauck out $600 computers thats "great for today's digital media" can jump off of a bridge.I can't play DOOM with 160!!!. Ain't going to waste more money on RAM. I'm just going to get a 98SE Upgrade. The best setup for XP(and incedently Mac OS X, don't ask) is 512Mb.
________
BUY GLASS BONGS

Last edited:
You mention that you opened up a digital photoshop, If you plan on doing some of that work on your home comp, than the extra ram may come in handy.

gtsimmo is right

If you plan on doing some of that work on your home comp, than the extra ram may come in handy.

Especially if your working with a bunch of high res images at once. I've talked to a guy at my local photography shop and he does most photo shooting with digital. He often swaps peoples heads if they don't come out right, and when you're in photoshop it slows way the heck down when you start going to the swapfile. You will deff notice speed differences going to ddr (you're doubling your mem bandwidth)

Yeah, if you are just plunking around the OS, and maybe playing a game once and awhile, then 512 is where XP runs optimum or so they say. Windows 98 os optimum at 256, and ME is optimum at around 256-384. But if you do want to use that comp for video editing, then like the others have said........ if you want to keep from getting the annoying swapfile slowdown then keep that stick of ram in your rig. Its what you wont notice that you will appreciate.

Penguin4x4 said:
I loaded XP and figured out that those PC vendors trying to hauck out $600 computers thats "great for today's digital media" can jump off of a bridge.

Scratch that. What they're selling is 128Mb DDR, which when I tested it runs as fast as 256Mb PC-133. So 256 Mb DDR is perfect for XP.
________
HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

Last edited:
Back