• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ "Ultimate" Rev. 3 PC2700 can't get to 333!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GooGobbler

Alright, I was not getting nearly enough help as I needed in the AMD Motherboard forum, so I am going to transfer my problem here and see if some of you can help me out. I NOW know that the problem is with my memory. I just don't know WHY it can't be overclocked to what it is rated for! Go to this site to see the specs of my memory:
- http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ddr/pc2700/index.asp

and

- http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/memory/ddr/tweak/index.asp

These are the settings in my BIOS:

Fast Command: Ultra, Fast, or Normal
DRAM Frequency: 266Mhz, 333MHz, or Auto
SDRAM CAS# Latency: 2, or 2.5
SDRAM Command Rate: 2T, or 1T

I would like to run my memory at a FSB of 166, so I would like these settings:

Ultra, 333MHz, CAS 2, 1T

Is that so hard to ask! The problem is that it isn't stable at 333 even if the settings are at their lowest! I have the Voltage default at 2.5, but I have tried it at 2.5, 2.6, 2.7. Do I need to try it at 1.8? I don't think it is the voltage though.

PLEASE READ THE BOTTOM FOR MUCH MORE INFORMATION ON MY PROBLEM. THIS IS FROM THE OTHER FORUM BUT IT HAS A LOT MORE INFO THAN THE ABOVE.

thanks for the help...I am about to replace my OCZ with some Samsung, but I only have 2 days left of return with Newegg.

###########################

Today I received all the necessary supplies for unlocking my AMD Athlon 1600+ on my Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP motherboard. The first attempt of unlocking my CPU was unsuccessful, but the second try worked perfectly. So now that it is unlocked I want to overclock my FSB to 166 while keeping my Athlon 1600+ at around 1.4GHz. Here is a simple way of putting it...

- Normal settings = 10.5 x 133 = 1396.5 MHz
- I want my FSB at 166 and my multiplier at 8.5, so…
- 8.5 x 166 = 1411 MHz.

As you can see the CPU is around the same speed, but the FSB is much higher that before.

I CAN get the FSB to 166 and the multiplier to 8.5. The problem is that once I try to overclock my memory that is when my computer won’t boot at all. The memory I own is:

- OCZ PC-2700 "Ultimate" Rev 3
- Specifications

The Only 1T CL2 PC-2700 On The Market

Aluminum Heat Spreader

Lifetime Warranty

2-2-2 1T Timings

333(166) MHz

Unbuffered

CAS 2

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ddr/pc2700/index.asp

-------------------------------------------------

I go into the BIOS and put the settings at "1T, 333, CAS 2" and then save the setting to CMOS. After I exit the BIOS it simply will not boot and my mobo beeps 3 times. I don't know what the beeps mean though because it is not explained in the manual.

That is why I think it is the memory and NOT the CPU or motherboard. Here are some more specs of my setup:

CPU Average Temp = 35C
Case Average Temp = 32C

VCore = 1.820 Volts

If you need more info then PLEASE ask. I really am annoyed by this problem and I would LOVE to be able to overclock my memory! Thanks for the help!

***P.S. While I was writing this my computer rebooted (I don't know why) and again, the motherboard beeped 3 times! It was at 166 x 8.5 and the memory wasn't overclocked. What is wrong! So I had to retype this and RIGHT NOW it is at 8.5 x 100! Please help!***

############################################

GooGobbler

Thanks, but that didn't seem to work.

Does anyone know what the 3 Beeps mean? Maybe that could help. It seems to short out when I am in Windows with 8.5 x 166, but it works perfectly at 10.5 x 133, which is the CPU default.

Could it be something wrong with the unlocking? Could it be shorting out because the conductive grease is touching? It doesn't LOOK like I did anything wrong though.

Oh yes....one more thing. I can Overclock my MEMORY to "1T, 333, CAS 2" with no problem when I use 10.5 x 133 FSB. But it doesnt work when I get anywhere above a higher FSB than that.

The thing is...why is it shorting out during Windows and beeping 3 times at me when I run my system at 8.5 x 166?

############################################

Alright, I went to my BIOS manufacture website which is "American Megatrends Inc." and I looked for their BIOS Desktop help guides and I found their section called BIOS Beep Code, here is what it said for 3 Beeps:

3 Beeps: Main memory read / write test error.

Troubleshooting
-1, 2, or 3 Beeps: Reseat the memory, or replace with known good modules.

Alright...the memory is seated perfectly or it wouldn't be working, correct? So why can't I get the memory to "333, 1T, CAS2" if that is what it is rated at! Argh!

Motherboards are different.
You can take a stick of memory that will run 200mhz 2-2-2 1t in a epox 8K3A and put it in a shuttle ak35 and it won't run at 170 2-2-2 1t. Different motherboards use different componets the quality of the componets and board layout or design can make a big difference.

Ocz has a list of motherboards that they have tested the memory on here.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/mobolist/amd/index.asp

Some motherboards function better with certain types of memory chips, that has to do with the way the bios is programmed and the load the chips place on the memory controller.

I am a little confused as to if you are trying to run the memory at the 333 setting and the cpu at 166mhz if so this is not the correct way. The 333 setting is for running the memory at 166mhz with the cpu at 133mhz and using this setting might cause the system to try to run the memory at 166+33mhz.
If you put your cpu fsb at 166mhz you should leave the memory set at its 1:1 setting and that is probably going to be 266.

Now if your motherboard and the ocz memory should get along fine and nothing above helped then you might have a "bad" stick and return it for another or try a different brand.

I am trying to put the FSB at 166 and the Memory at 333. What is the problem with that? How else can I get the memory to 333. What do I need my FSB to be if I want my memory at 333? Thanks for the quick reply.

memory

I don't know kt333 boards, but i think you run FSB at 133 and then choose an asynchronous setting for the ram... something like 3:4. so the ram is at 166 while the FSB is at 133. Or t should work running 1:1, if you drop the mult, although I know thta's the problem you're having.

I have an AK35 and the same memory that you have. I can do 148 cas 2 (I alway choose 2t). Changing to cas 2.5 doesn't let me get any higher. My cpu still has headroom, and I'm inclined to believe it's not the memory. So that leaves the motherboard... or the built in Raid controller that my HDD's are plugged into...

Alright, let me make this easy for you guys (since I don't know what I am doing) and give you the available settings in my BIOS and you tell me what they should be to run my RAM at 333.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Chipset Features Setup

Fast Command:
- Ultra
- Fast
- Normal

Configure SDRAM by SPD:
- Enable
- Disable

DRAM Frequency:
- 266Mhz
- 333MHz
- Auto

SDRAM CAS# Latency:

SDRAM Command Rate:
- 2T
- 1T

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Monitor & MISC Setup

DDR Voltage:
- 2.5V
- 2.6V
- 2.7V
- 2.8V

VCore Voltage:
- Normal
- +5.0%
- +7.5%
- +10.0%

CPU Host Clock (MHz)
- 100~161

Those are all the settings I see relevant. Other then that I have my CPU Multiplier set at "8.5"

Chipset Features Setup

Fast Command:
- Normal-start with this and if ok then try fast then ultra.

Configure SDRAM by SPD:
- Disable

DRAM Frequency:
- 266Mhz-if you are using the cpu host clock at 134-166
- 333MHz-if you are using the cpu host clock at 133
- Auto

SDRAM CAS# Latency:

SDRAM Command Rate:
- 1T

Hardware Monitor & MISC Setup

DDR Voltage:
- 2.7V

VCore Voltage:
Used for cpu overclocking.
- Normal

CPU Host Clock (MHz)
- 100~161- this is your fsb.

You can only choose these :(
Well you can use 133 and the 333 setting or 161 and the 266 setting. The 161 and 266 setting will giver you better performance. But you might want to use 133 and 333 until you understand overclocking better.

Here is a basic but important thing.
Cpu speed = FSB x multiplier. FSB of 150 x 8.5 =1275mhz cpu speed.

Alright, I am still a little confused, but I do know that FSB x multiplier = CPU Speed.

This is what I was thinking I had to do. Set the RAM at 166(333), because 166x2 = 333, and set the CPU Host Clock at 166. That way the multiplier is "8.5 x 166 FSB = 1411 MHz". Sorry, I just didn't have this problem with my old P3 system. I had the FSB at 150 and my memory at 150. Weird...

GooGobbler said:
Alright, I am still a little confused, but I do know that FSB x multiplier = CPU Speed.

This is what I was thinking I had to do. Set the RAM at 166(333), because 166x2 = 333, and set the CPU Host Clock at 166. That way the multiplier is "8.5 x 166 FSB (isn't the FSB same as CPU Host Clock?) = 1411 MHz". Sorry, I just didn't have this problem with my old P3 system. I had the FSB at 150 and my memory at 150. Weird...

The KT333 chipset can run the memory at a different speed than the cpu. On most KT333 boards choosing 333 will run the memory +33mhz to the cpu fsb. So if you have the fsb(host clock) at stock 133 for a xp cpu then the memory runs at 133+33 or 166mhz(333ddr).

Hope this helps.

So if I put my FSB at 166 and my memory at 266 then it will probably run at 266+33 = 333? or do I have that backwards? lol, I think this is starting to clear all my problems...thanks for the help...

Yes.
The 333 setting isn't fixing the memory at 333 it stays at +33 as you raise the fsb.
Same with the 266 setting it will increase as you raise the fsb.

Last edited:
ALright, my last response. Here are my settings I am about to put in.

FSB = 166
Memory = 266
Multiplier = 8.5

So, 8.5x166 = 1411MHz, and my memory will be at 333Mhz?

Thank you so much for all the time and help. I guess the only problem was that I didn't know about the +33 part.

I guess that wasn't my last response! I am going to go apply the settings now. Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

ocz...

OCZ has gotten some interesting feedback. doing a search in these forums alone will reveal a plethora of complaints regarding truth in advertising as to the performance and quality of their memory.

however, my recent experience with ocz was not a bad one.

i purchased one 256mb stick of ocz pc3000 rev.2 DDR memory. Rated at Cas2 with timings of 23362.

The memory did function at those settings, and a bit better.

As i understand, PC3000 is supposed to be clocked at 187.5mhz.

at 187.5mhz, my memory performed in a stable fashion with 23342 timings. which is a little better than advertised.

my sisoft sandra memory benchmarks reported about 2700mb/s with these settings.

presently, i run this ocz memory in a stable fashion with latency timings of 2.5,[email protected]. my sisoft sandra memory benchmark now reports 3166mb/s.

OCZ isn't the best memory going right now, but my stick performed as advertised and i was able to overclock it to a decent level of performance.

PEACE!
BdK :burn:

you think you have problems?

I've got a stick of Corsair cas2 PC2700 memory in my Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and it won't run at any speed other than 200!!

According to the +33mhz /-33Mhz theory, that means for my 1900+ XP processor with 133mhz FSB, that the memory is running at (133x2)-33 or 233mhz.

I can't explain this problem. I've tried 2 other sticks of DDR memory and have had no luck. The best I could do its get the memory to post at 266, but windows XP will blue screen on me relatively quickly.

Any ideas??

My other components are:

Tekram SCSI controller
IBM 36gb 10k HD
TrueX 100x Kenwood CD
Acer cd-rw 10/24
Geforce3 ti200
Antec 350Watt PS

Thanks!

-Reapin

Back