• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird memory problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXtraktor

I had 768mb of ram before i installed my new Athlon XP. After the installation was complete, i reinstalled my ram and booted up my computer. At the boot screen, it showed only 512mb of ram. Hmmmm, i take them out 1 by 1 and test them to see which one isnt working. I set one in Dimm1 and it boots showing 256mb of ram, fine this one works... I put the second one in, boots up showing 256mb of ram, this one is fine too... I put the third in, no go, wont boot, so i figure i must have damaged it during the installation of my processor. So, i put it aside thinking RMA. About 5 mins ago, i had an idea to try it in my other pc which already has 256mb in it. I put it in, press the power button and boots up showing a total of 512mb of ram.... The million dollar question is, why wont it boot in mine? I tried a multiple ways, dimm1, dimm2, dimm1 + dimm2... still no go. What could be causing this? Could it be the fact that i installed a new processor?

Could you have possibly damaged one of the DIMM slots on the motherboard? Perhaps inserted a DIMM backwards? They are keyed to go only one way, but can be inserted if forced (Don't ask me how I know that :rolleyes: ). I seriously doubt it is the CPU. Maybe try blowing each of the DIMM slots out with a can of compressed air. Was you old CPU running at 133 memory bus? Are you overclocking the memory bus? Sometimes boards have a hard time booting at high memory bus speeds with all three DIMM slots occupied even if all 3 DIMMs are qualified to run at that speed.

Geoff

I should have tried this earlier.... such a stupid thing of me, lol. Turns out this stick as a mind of its own... I tried it in my motherboard again and i noticed that it needs to be pushed in... after you clip it. Its weird, i've never seen anything like this... the other 2 sticks go in fine, they clip in and they're good to go, but this one is just weird, plain and simple, lol. Thx for the reply though.

Back