• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
I am in the process of building an AMD system. I am undecided on the memory brand and what speed. What is the best brand memory for overclocking. Also should I go with PC2700, PC3000, or PC3200. I am undecided on most of the parts but I will give you a general idea of what will be in it.

XP 1600+-2100+(if the tbreds improve by the time I buy I might also get one of them instead)
Epox 8k3a, Abit KX7-333

I know its kinda vauge, but I am just trying to put it together in my head. I plan on buying in the next month or so. Thanks.

Really considering corsair PC3200 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1666&DEPA=1

Last edited:
I would recommend the corsair xms3000 ddr. Its rated upto 183fsb at cas2 and I'm running it at 190 fsb with only a small voltage increase. Most tests have shown that the xms3000 is good to somwhere around 210-220 fsb. You might be able to get a little higher with the xms3200 but it's not rated at cas2. If you don't want to spend as much you can get the samsung pc2700 which is also very good ram. Also, get the 8k3a or 8k3a+, they are great overclocking boards.

What kind of a difference am I looking at Cas2 compared to Cas2.5? Is there anyway that the PC3200 Cas2.5 can run at Cas2 settings?

It will run at cas2 settings as long as the it can handle the fsb.

Once you hit a certain fsb, you'll need to switch to cas 2.5 or you'll start having stability problems.

No, it cannot run CAS 2 if it is rated at 2.5 PC3200 is the fastest DDR. Remeber This Performance Equation:

1Gb PC-66=512Mb PC-133=256Mb PC2100 DDR=128Mb of either Dual Channel PC-800 RDRAM or PC3200 DDR

See the pattern? Thats the reason that so many vendors are selling computers for $600; 128Mb DDR,(XP needs at least 256Mb PC-133 to run right)
________
Sex Tape

Last edited:
any idea of how high a fsb it might go to before I have to go back to 2.5? I am probally not going to unlock my CPU and just max out the fsb as high as I can go.

I do not want to go under PC2700 because of speed and upgradeability. I would prefer either PC3000 or PC3200.

Penguin, one more thing. Maybe you know something I dont, but I thought Intel only made a 2.53B not a 2.6B as listed in your sig. Maybe, its just me........

Penguin4x4 said:
No, it cannot run CAS 2 if it is rated at 2.5 PC3200 is the fastest DDR. Remeber This Performance Equation:

1Gb PC-66=512Mb PC-133=256Mb PC2100 DDR=128Mb of either Dual Channel PC-800 RDRAM or PC3200 DDR

See the pattern? Thats the reason that so many vendors are selling computers for $600; 128Mb DDR,(XP needs at least 256Mb PC-133 to run right)

Uhm, Then why can my pc2100 crucial run at 150fsb @ cas2 if it's not possible? The equation is just a guide.

Now not all cas2.5 will run at cas2 but the better brand names will.

There are very few true cas2 memory on the market, but a lot of cas2.5 memory will run at cas2 up to about 170~180fsb depending on your system and mem voltage.

maxima88 said:
Now not all cas2.5 will run at cas2 but the better brand names will. There are very few true cas2 memory on the market, but a lot of cas2.5 memory will run at cas2 up to about 170~180fsb depending on your system and mem voltage.

Thanks for the heads-up, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Better safe than sorry.
________
Magic flight launch box

Last edited:
Yeah, looked very good. You know of any other reviews on it? I would like to see it compared to some PC3000 or 3200. But I am very impressed.

rlemieux said:
any idea of how high a fsb it might go to before I have to go back to 2.5? I am probally not going to unlock my CPU and just max out the fsb as high as I can go.

If your not going to be unlocking I wouldn't worry about getting the best ram because you will probably end up getting somewhere in the 150s-160s. If I were you I would try to unlock because you will be able to hit 180 or 190 fsb fairly easily. I'm running at 190 with no stability issues and the only reason I'm not higher is because my cpu can't handle any more.

I probally will, but I am really undecided. I have never done it before and am kinda worried about it....., but if I cant get what I want I will.

I thought unlocking would be hard but I got it on my second try. IMO you might as well do it because it will help get to a higher fsb. I got the kit from www.highspeedpc.com and it was pretty easy to do.

Back