• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to get good 1066MHz RDRAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I've seen some at places like componentsdirect.com but I read in a review that when they received the memory it was actually 800MHz with a "Void if removed" sticker ontop of it :rolleyes:

So... since I'm going to be forking out the cash I want to make sure I get some good memory.

First of all, which brands have good 1066MHz RDRAM? Samsung? OCZ? Kingston?

Where would you recommend purchasing from? NewEgg? Directron? GoogleGear? ComponentsDirect?

I was thinking about 2 256MB sticks of the 1066MHz RDRAM here: http://directron.com/kvr1066.html

Oh and if it matters I'm planning on getting an Asus P4T533-C mobo w/ a P4 2.26GHz 533MHz FSB.

Kingston, Samsung, Crucial, OCZ, and Corsair have 1066. Went to their sites and all the info I can get are press releases! Guess we're all SOL, at least for another 2 weeks. That Kingston is good, but not very OC friendly
________
Ford Kent Engine History

Last edited:
Ok thanks for answering... I'll probably wait a couple weeks before I start ordering anyways, because this is my first system I'm building and I want to make sure I have everything ok :)

Really? Might I offer a few suggestions? One, I would go with the MSI Ti440 or VisionTek XTASY Ti4600. And If you're looking for a good OC, say 166-190, I would go with an Intel 845 or SiS 645 board such as an ABIT IT7 MAX, EPoX EP-4BEA or EP-4BEA+, MSI's 645 Max-2 or 845-Ultra, Soyo SY-P4S Ultra, or a Gigabyte GA-8IRXP, and ASUS's P4B/P4S Line.
________
Ford ib transmission history

Last edited:
No, crap. Most motherboards have a selectable memory multiplier, 2x, 3x, 4x, or something like that, right? So, 200 FSB(Not Possible, just and idea) with 3x multiplier, PC-1200. Wrong?

BTW is PC-1600 Possible?
________
EROTIC

Last edited:
Well I've never overclocked anything before so being a good overclocking piece of hardware isn't of a big concern to me. Of course I'll probably do a little in the future, but I'm not hardcore about it :)

I'll probably go ahead and get the Kingston memory once it's available here: http://directron.com/kvr1066.html. Seems like a good price.

Penguin4x4 said:
No, crap. Most motherboards have a selectable memory multiplier, 2x, 3x, 4x, or something like that, right? So, 200 FSB(Not Possible, just and idea) with 3x multiplier, PC-1200. Wrong?

BTW is PC-1600 Possible?

No, probably not even close with a 1066 stick. From what I've read, 1200 out of a stick of new 1066 RAM is great, that's very high memory bandwidth. I think the absolute highest you would see on a 1066 stick right now is 1300, probably no more.

So would ordering from Directron that memory I linked above sound good? Don't want to get screwed...

Ok that's good cause I"m getting all my parts from either Directron or NewEgg :D

I've ordered stuff from both directron.com and newegg.com, both are excellent. I'm not as convinced about Kingston PC1066 being good. Samsung, Mushkin, and Corsair would be my picks.

Penguin4x4 said:
So with an ABIT TH7II-RAID, 200MHz FSB is possible?(PCI and AGP locked at 33/66)
prolly not bro.:( the drcg chips on the board suck, you could hit some where in the 170-195 range, with very exceptional RDRAM. abit should make a mobo called th7III-r, it could have the new clock chips on it, on board lan, usb 2.0, and for crying out loud, ata133. that would be a sweet board, hope they do it.:D

How about that RIMM 4200 on the ASUS P4T533i850 board does it oc well? It seems to be a much cheaper alternative to 1066. I think I'll buy one soon.

jdmcnudgent said:
prolly not bro.:( the drcg chips on the board suck, you could hit some where in the 170-195 range, with very exceptional RDRAM. abit should make a mobo called th7III-r, it could have the new clock chips on it, on board lan, usb 2.0, and for crying out loud, ata133. that would be a sweet board, hope they do it.:D

Umm, can you Northbridge waterblock?:D

I bought some Samsung PC1066 RDRAM modules from componentsdirect.com and they were remarked PC800. They tried to be clever by sticking a "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker over the part of the label that said PC800. After several phone calls, they've agreed to send me some Kingston modules instead.

DON'T BUY FROM COMPONENTSDIRECT.COM

Here's what the Better Business Bureau has to say abou them.

Bureau File Experience

We rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business performance record based on a pattern of unanswered customer complaints. Some complainants allege the company fails to deliver ordered products. Other customers complain the company fails to issue refunds for returns or cancelled orders. The company responds to some complaints by shipping late orders, or, in some cases issuing requested refunds. A few complaints are closed as disputed, the customers are not always satisfied with the company's response. Many other complaints remain unanswered. The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or dissapprove of any company, product or service.

Back