• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are they going backwards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

Let me get this straight... DDR is single channel right now, soon to be moving to double channel. Right?

Now, RDRAM is already double channel, that's why you have to install in pairs, right? Now the new RIMM 4200 is single channel?

Is it just me, or is Rambus taking a step backwards? Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this...

Rdram is 16 bit now the 4200 is 32 bit and is supposed to reduce cost of the motherboards and memory. The I850e is really using the new memory type as dual channel just in a different layout.
It will take a new chipset to use it as a true single channel.

The new rambus 3200 and 4200 is 32 bit 232 pin.
The "old" rambus 600-800-1066 is 16 bit but when used in dual channel its like 32 bit.
They kind of stuck two sticks of the old stuff together to make the new stuff.

each stick of current RDRAM is 16bit so you have to have two to equal 32bits of addressability. the new stuff is like two sticks glued together (thats oversimplified, but you get the picture) so it has the same 32bits and the same throughoput.

I don't know if you remember, but when SDRAM came out it needed two sticks as well. This happens when the manufacturers need more time to pefect the method of data transfer with a new, faster type of RAM.

I hope this answers your question.
________
DEPAKOTE LAWSUIT INFORMATION

Last edited:
Back