• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start menu and SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I have tryed numerous time to get seti to start @ startup,but it isnt going to well.
I have tryed to open the start menu and place the hole folder in it and I have tryed to just place the Seti spy and driver in it,but when I restart all my cached folders start too,what am i doing wrong here,I tryed placing the SETI folder in the programs folder and copying driver and spy to start and still didnt work.Any ideas?
I know I am doing it wrong.Help would be wonderful.Thanks

Shortcuts.

I usually got to my seti folder, right click the program I want to start automatically and hit "Send To.." then use Shortcut on desktop.

Cut and paste the shortcut into the startup folder and voila! Done.

Win98, W2K and XP that works.

Other Windows (without send to, or the ability to drop a shortcut on the Start Menu) you can do it as well:

right click on the Task Bar and go to Properties, Advanced.

Then Customize Start Menu, Advanced. Navigate to the startup folder (may need to be the ALL USERS Startup folder) and add a shortcut.

That should take care of it....

Dave

two things:

1) Make sure you have the startup "system" folder...

2) Make sure that SETIspy & driver startup when you click on the spy icon in your SETI@home folder..

then just create a SHORTCUT to the SETIspy icon & copy into your startup folder... viola!

Kris: isn't that a musical instrument?:D lol

But Yodums has the best plan of all: start it up and leave it running 24/7!!

I still do the shortcuts so that when doing maintenance and tweaks I don't have to restart manually, but.....

CRUNCH!!!

Wow it worked,I was trying to put both driver and spy in it and only the spy would start not the driver.Thanks guys.
My daughter cant remember to restart seti when she reboots my second computer,now I don't have to worry about it..Thanks

Why not run it as a service? That's what I'm doing now. Search this forum and you'll find a thread I started about doing this. It worked at wonders at work when people log off but don't log back on (services run even while the PC is sitting at the login screen...I hope lol).

-JR

Also, if it is a computer with multiple accounts, put it in the StartUp folder under the /Documents and Settings/All Users (XP) or /windows/Profiles/All Users (98) (winnt for NT). This will force it to start regardless of who logs in....

I do this at work to maximize crunching.

Back