• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just so you guys know, NewEgg LIES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Cornell

Their website still says the model number of the Samsung Original DDR they are selling is the good overclocking CTL kind, but AFAIK they have been shipping people DTL sticks for a month now. I received a DTL stick from them last week and I tried to complain about their site and ask for a CTL one but they gave me the runaround. I managed to get them to at least let me RMA it and exchange it for another one. Maybe they'll take notice. But just so you guys know, NewEgg's site is lying about their RAM and they are not selling the "good" Samsung. And they are trying to charge $149 for it when other sites are charging $100-110! I've always trusted NewEgg in the past and I've bought a lot of stuff from them but this experience has really changed my opinion of them. :eh?: :mad: :( :(

Mr. Cornell said:
Their website still says the model number of the Samsung Original DDR they are selling is the good overclocking CTL kind, but AFAIK they have been shipping people DTL sticks for a month now. I received a DTL stick from them last week and I tried to complain about their site and ask for a CTL one but they gave me the runaround. I managed to get them to at least let me RMA it and exchange it for another one. Maybe they'll take notice. But just so you guys know, NewEgg's site is lying about their RAM and they are not selling the "good" Samsung. And they are trying to charge $149 for it when other sites are charging $100-110! I've always trusted NewEgg in the past and I've bought a lot of stuff from them but this experience has really changed my opinion of them. :eh?: :mad: :( :(

How do you know that they have been giving people dtl sticks for a month? Maybe they listed it is ctl but you are the only person that got a dtl.

Actually Cornell, Newegg is one of the very very few reputable companies who are actually selling Samsing PCB PC2700.

It's a shame that you got a stick that didn't perform the way you wanted, but Newegg is my sole source of hardware income. I do not purchase from anyone else because I have never had a need to. I have never had to RMA anything myself, but I know of only 2 cases in my small circle of friends which required an RMA.

Newegg is trusted by many, and that didn't just come from nothing. Simply RMA your RAM (heh), and if there's a field for special directions (I don't know, never RMA'd with Newegg), then put it something about it being ACTUAL Samsing memory.

Über~PhLuBB said:
Actually Cornell, Newegg is one of the very very few reputable companies who are actually selling Samsing PCB PC2700.

It's a shame that you got a stick that didn't perform the way you wanted, but Newegg is my sole source of hardware income. I do not purchase from anyone else because I have never had a need to. I have never had to RMA anything myself, but I know of only 2 cases in my small circle of friends which required an RMA.

Newegg is trusted by many, and that didn't just come from nothing. Simply RMA your RAM (heh), and if there's a field for special directions (I don't know, never RMA'd with Newegg), then put it something about it being ACTUAL Samsing memory.

Exatcly. I have made many orders with NewEgg and they offer great all around service. That is why I am so skeptical because they are actually a company that I can trust. Just because you got a wrong part does not mean you can go around and say they are lying. You have not done anything about it so you have no right to say that about them.

Newegg is a great company.

I broke a ASUS A7A266 after 8 MONTHS OF USE!! And i got a quick rma return (2 days) and a check for 147 dollars in 1 week.

I do have to admit there prices on RAM Are expensive.

I dealt with NewEgg two weeks ago for the first time, and they didn't ship me exactly what they were supposed to:
I was expecting a refurbed mobo with no cables, manual or driver cd- I got everything!

I'd have to say it is probably an error and they will make good.

Companies don't get a reputation for fair dealing like NewEggs by being slimeballs.

I was walking home one night and a guy hammering on a roof called me a paranoid little weirdo. In morse code.
-Emo Phillips

Newegg has been a standup company for me in the past. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I still think they are one of the best.

dew.

I buy hardware from two places online Googlegear and Newegg. And that is pretty much it. They have been great and will continue to do business with until otherwise.

I just recieved 2 sticks of 256 pc2700 samsung from newegg and yes they 2 are the DTL sticks... ANd yes it sucks and the sticks suck.. I've been burning them in for the past 2 days and i cant get it stable at 175 max settings. With the slowest settings at 190 i can get into windows but thats about as far as i can get and thats even with 2.85 voltage..

I have also read about lots of people complaining about teh DTL sticks coming out of newegg recently at other forms that i dont frequint that my buddy found and pointed out for me... Ofcourse the day after i ordered mine.

I wanted to get the better ram for a few dollors more.. Now i gota exchange them for it.

Am i ****ed at Newegg for it... No
Will i buy from Newegg in the future.. Always!

After the first time buying from them, i have bought from no where else.. There the best and they care about custermer service and quick shipping.

I'm sure its just something to do with there web master not updateing that info about the ram model...

But theres no remarks from recent buyers on there site under the samsung sticks... last post was something like last month.. So there could be something fishy going on..

Oh and Mr.Cornell, did Newegg let you replace them with the better CTL stick?? Thats the million dollar question.

I also just received a 512MB stick of DTL (web site does say CTL, but I didn't realize the apparent significance when I ordered). See the thread titled "Who's got samsung pc2700?" for some of my posts about this memory.

Anyway, I've gotten Win2000 installed now on my new system (typing this on it now). Spent nearly two days just booting memtest86 off of floppy, experimenting with different FSB and memory speeds. I installed Win2000 with FSB of 133 (2.1GHz core for my 1.6A) and timings set to 4:5 (333 DDR), 2.5-3-3-6 just to minimize the chance of a bad install. No problems and ran Prime95 overnight (7+ hours) and SuperPI to 32M digits. No errors or lockups :)

My experiments with memtest86 showed that even at 333 DDR I had to run 2.5-2-2-5 (I think - might have even needed to go more relaxed) for long-term stability on the memory tests. Seemed to need 2.5-3-3-6 (at least the 3-3 part) starting at 340 or so. With 2.5-3-3-6 I could go to perhaps 388 DDR with some memory instability, but 375 DDR seems to be the practical limit. More voltage does seem to help somewhat (BG7 limited to 2.8V = 2.74V actual as read by BIOS). I've done some burnin now and it seems like the memory works better, but that could just be due to my getting familiar with the BIOS settings.

My 1.6A looks good for 170 FSB or better. This is only from the standpoint of booting and running memtest86, so running stability tests in Windows may show the real limit of my CPU. What's really limiting me seems to be my memory :(

I too love Newegg. Ordered almost a complete system worth of parts early morning and they shipped that day with everything getting here fine. But now I'm faced with the decision of whether to RMA this RAM. Can't say that I'm really ****ed, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have ordered the Samsung from them.

BTW - memtest86 version 3.0 tests #5 and #6 seemed to be the toughest on my system. I learned to run those to get a quick indication of my memory being pushed too far. That's a damn fine program.

Octoman said:
What is the diference between CTL and DTL can someone explain the significance to me?

Feel free to interject, but CTL is Samsung chips on Samsung PCB's, the good stuff. DTL is Samsung chips on non-Samsung PCB's, the cheap stuff.

no the DTL is also a Samsung original stick on samsungs PSB board... Single sided and looks the same as the CTL stick.. Only difference is that the DTL SUCKS!

Buy MUSHKIN! 2100-3000...

Newegg is a piece of trash company. I hope they burn and die since they wrote me a very ruid letter about why they wouldnt ship me this one CPU awhile back.

OMG, I hope they go aouta business fast, and you know what.... They dont even ship to Canadians, WTF.

Newegg must get shutdown b4 its too late. These ripoffs and lies cant be taken no more.

DS-Master

The onlything I dont like about them is shipping. Its alright if you buy one thing, but they just add shipping to shipping. So basically buying 10 things together is just like placing 10 seperate orders. That why I dont buy in bulk from them.

DS-Master said:
Newegg is a piece of trash company. I hope they burn and die since they wrote me a very ruid letter about why they wouldnt ship me this one CPU awhile back.

OMG, I hope they go aouta business fast, and you know what.... They dont even ship to Canadians, WTF.

Wow. Okay, lets's start from the beginning. For one, have you even read this thread? In this thread alone, the vast, vast majority of users not only use Newegg, but prefer it and in many cases use it exclusively, like me.

Secondly, why the hell SHOULD they ship to Canada? It's an American company, they ship to America. Any company in America that ships to Canada is just a bonus. Newegg has no obligation to ship to Canada, I don't know where you picked that up from. If they are doing enough business, and making enough money in America (which they most certainly are!), they have no reason to branch out to make more money. That's not to say they won't in the future, but for now, they don't because they don't have to. All their shipping costs are static. If you want one item shipped to NY, it costs the same as to CA or TX (of course it goes down when you buy in bulk, depending on your state--Newegg is based in California).

DS-Master said:
Newegg must get shutdown b4 its too late. These ripoffs and lies cant be taken no more.

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read anyone type. You have NO BASIS to say such things, let alone scream them from the mountaintop like God. Newegg has one of, if not the best reputation than any other online computer-hardware vendor anyone talks about here at OC.com.

*Whew!* Let's hope we don't see another one of THOSE posts, or my head is gonna explode!

Back