• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to lonewolf1983 (and anyone else ;))

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KenCo

I got that PIV 1.6a + MSI 645 Ultra sysstem put together.

For my purposes it seems quite adequate. I had all the other parts I needed to put together a system - a cheapo case with a generic 300W psu, 256MB Kingston ValueRAM DDR PC2100 CL2.5, and I just used the stock HSF. I figured with those parts I'd be lucky to get much of an OC so I wanted a relatively inexpensive CPU/MOBO combo.

The best stable configuration I could get was 147 FSB for 2.352GHz. I was actually quite amazed that I was able to get that with all the highest memory settings (CL 2 and using the ultra timings) using that cheap memory. 148 FSB ran for 24 hours before a glitch occured. At full crunch the temperature is around 28 to 30 above ambient, usually the upper 40's.

It seems to be a pretty good combo. Mostly I wanted to try the PIV 1.6a overclock thing. At close to $30 dollars less (NewEgg) the 1800XP with an easy slight FSB overclock seems to be a pretty close match. At roughly the same price as the 1.6a (and the minor hassle of unlocking it) the 1900XP would probably be my choice for a next new system (*looking sadly at credit card balance*).

LOL Credit card balance:D They keep giving me more credit and well......:D But I got some cool stuff and still able to pay it off:cool:

You got a nice little setup there. The p4 will slam the amd in the high ar wu's but they are very slow on the low ar wu's. They are about an equal match on average.

Just built me another dual xp system a few days ago:cool:

racecar12 said:
. The p4 will slam the amd in the high ar wu's but they are very slow on the low ar wu's.

I didn't know that. Now you've got me considering the possibility of sorting my WU's. lol.

KenCo said:

I didn't know that. Now you've got me considering the possibility of sorting my WU's. lol.
LOL!!!I use to do that. Take the high ar's out of the amd and the low ar's out of the p4 and swap the files:D LOL:beer:

that would take to much time, specially for the amount of wu's i crunch. besides that is cheating. sorting, deleting and munipilating any wu's due to ar's or any other reason is wrong.

jstutman said:
that would take to much time, specially for the amount of wu's i crunch. besides that is cheating. sorting, deleting and munipilating any wu's due to ar's or any other reason is wrong.

Deleting WU's or using a hacked client would definitely be cheating. But deciding which system to cruch units on is absolutely acceptable. Though it would likely be far more trouble than it's worth.

i really don't agree or confused how come people said their P4 sux in low AR's???!!!! :confused:

as i stated on another thread, both my P4 finished a 0.06 & a 0.04 unit in 3:10 & 3:12!! not bad at all!! and they r using DDR only, no RDRAM!

LandShark said:
i really don't agree or confused how come people said their P4 sux in low AR's???!!!! :confused:

as i stated on another thread, both my P4 finished a 0.06 & a 0.04 unit in 3:10 & 3:12!! not bad at all!! and they r using DDR only, no RDRAM!

Here are the AR and completion times of the last 12 WU's I downloaded and completed on the P4 in my sig.

AR ---- Time
------------------
0.087 - 6.801
0.084 - 6.727
4.023 - 2.513
0.414 - 3.334
0.014 - 6.746
0.014 - 6.673
0.441 - 3.356
0.444 - 3.325
0.414 - 3.336
0.015 - 6.663
0.443 - 3.327
0.430 - 3.336

OK!!! Let me eat a little crow here with an explanation. My log file was similar to the times as KenCo's post when I first started my 1.6a@2400. But I just checked my log file from the begining and seems that the cpu has slowly gotten faster with the lower ar wu's. I have a recent 0.019ar wu that crunched in 3.507hrs. Maybe that is something to look foward to KenCo after it breaks in:cool:

lonewolf1983 said:
sounds like a nice system
tell me what is the difference in fan noise from the p4 to the XP?
i like quiet systems :)

Well, with the stock HSF it runs a little warm, but it's very quiet. I think most stock fans will be nice and quiet, Intel or AMD. I think the Intel chips will be more forgiving with the less effective cooling.

Originally posted by racecar12
. Maybe that is something to look foward to KenCo after it breaks in

I hope so! ;)

I wonder if the very low AR's are causing the CPU to heat up and the system is slowing itself down to prevent damage? That type of time increase for that little change in AR is nuts.

racecar, are you using a stock HSF?

I have a hunch we are seeing the P4 throttling back on some folks with insufficient cooling.

Landshark, are you using the retail or a high performance HSF?

Greg M said:
I have a hunch we are seeing the P4 throttling back on some folks with insufficient cooling.

Landshark, are you using the retail or a high performance HSF?
i think that might be the only way to explain 4~6hr low ARs WU from some P4 systems then.......:rolleyes:

well, being here in hot summer (96degrees today!!:mad: ), my P4 isn't cool AT ALL! actually, it's quite toasty!! 52~57C while crunching SETI!! mobo temp goes all the way up to 38~41C!! so, considering the mobo temp, my heatsink actually is doing pretty good 'cos my P4s is running 1.75~1.8v!

i'm using AX-478 w/ Panaflo high output fan. 40cfm, but only 32db! can't stand w/ any more noise here from all those machines!!

I'm using the stock fan, but I put it on with arctic silver and I've got a case fan on the side blowing right in on the processor. It's in an air conditioned room that stays in the upper sixties or cooler all the time. The processor runs in the upper 40's while crunching and doesn't seem to get warmer with the lower AR units. I'm hoping it's like racecar12 said. Maybe it just needs to break in. It's only been running about 5 days.

Back