• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a queue for others?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

How viable would it be? I am on 512k ADSL, but without a static IP. But seeing as my main machine is the one running ym SETIQueue, it does sometimes get switched off. Should I wait until I get my second computer totally stable (cooling as awful, keeps crashing due to overheating) and run that as the server?

You can use NO-IP.com to setup a DNS record for your dsl account that will be updated when your IP changes via DHCP. That seems to work fairly well, although the free service is sometimes slow because of all the traffic they get, and that can sometimes lead people to think your server is down. As far as your server goes, I would definitely wait until you can dedicate a reliable machine to it 24/7. People will get annoyed if it's not on and running 100% of the time.

I totally agree with TC on the uptime issue. My server probally has the longest uptime within our group, 108 days and running strong( http://queue.novastar-seti.com:5516 ). True i don't have it radically overclocked, it is still running 52mhz above stock.

I believe most users of Queues like to have everything backed up so even if you back the data up to another computer daily, that's still better then nothing. Even though this is a free service we're providing for people, I still aim to make the end user happy.

Back