• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ram will give me 200FSB on a Abit KX7R?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnownKiller

I've tried Kingmax 256MB 2700-3200, Samsung"DTL" single sided 256MB... Whatever i try i cant get it stable at 175FSB max settings. Nothing will post at 195.. I've even tried burning the ram in for 2 days at different speeds..

Is Mushkin 3000 my best bet??? Or how about that new Xtreme DDR 3200?? Or even this stuff called OCSystem Expeditious Gamer 3200 DDR found here http://www.ocsystem.com/pcpcpcbrddrs1.html

I wanted to go Samsung original but with the newest bach out there "DTL" being pretty much non overclockable i'm not willing to try ordering that again without someone guaranting that its the good CTL-tcb3 stuff. Hell the 2 256MB sticks i got that are the DTL will only do 170 stable max settings.. not stable at 190 slowest settings..

So i'm getting sick of this game.. If the stick is rated for 3200 it freakin better do 200 before ya mass produce it!

So if you feel you got some great ram and it will get me 200+ let me know... Post some pics of some sandra scores.... And let me know what ya think of that ram i talked about above...shoot up some links to some reviews if ya know of any..

I'm dying for 200+ FSB with a sandra score of 3000+...

I'm in the same boat

I'm in the hunt myself Killer. I've been hunting for reviews of good memory but most of the reviews I've read so far are stupid. The reviewer either don't tell you what settings they're using ( voltage, CAS, Bank Interleave, etc. ) or they have old ****ty hardware so they can't max out the memory. What the hell is that? Dumb *** people. Why even bother reviewing the thing?

I order a stick of that Samsung too from newegg but instead of getting "CTL" I got "DTL" like you and they freaking suck. Burning them in did absolutely no good. I went to Fry's and grab a 512MB stick of Corsair XMS PC3200. They do indeed run at 200MHz on my KX7R but not at the default vmem. I have to give it the max 2.85. Anyways, it gives some pretty nice sandra scores, but I'm still not happy cause I can't crank all the memory settings to the max. I ordered a stick of OCZ PC3000 REV 2. I'll try that next, if that can't do 200MHz at max settings then i'm gonna try the Corsair 256MB PC3000 CAS2. If that fails then I'll try the OCSystem crap or the XtremeDDR.

Also this is what I found out, in the BIOS under "Softmenu III Setup" there's a setting called "CPU FAST COMMAND DECODE", it doesn't affect CPU performance at all, but instead it makes a huge difference in memory scores. The Corsair 512MB XMS3200 stick I have can only do 200MHz at NORMAL or FAST setting but unable to go at ULTRA setting.

Anyways here's a cap of sandra of my system with the maximum memory settings that I could get this Corsair stick to run at.

Abit KX7R w/ LATEST BIOS ( 9K ) and Vcore mod ( 22Kohm resistor )
XP 1600+ AGOIA unlocked @ 200 x 9 using 1.95 Volts
512MB Corsair XMS 3200 in DIMM 1 using 2.85 Volts
CPU FAST COMMAND DECODE = FAST
CAS = 2.5
BANK INTERLEAVE = 4 BANK
TRP = 3T
TRAS = 5T
TRCD = 2T
ENHANCE DRAM PERFORMANCE = ENABLED
DRAM ACCESS = 2T
DRAM COMMAND RATE = 2T

I'm thinking about doing the Vmem mod as well, but if there's a stick out there that will do 200MHz at max setting without it then why bother.

>> PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT ANY OTHER RAM THAT YOU HAVE TESTED SO I CAN SAVE SOME TIME AND WHAT'S LEFT OF MY SANITY :)

Hey nice post nuon.. Nice to know i'm not the only one losin my mine trying to get some great memory hehe..

Sucks to have to keep rma'n sticks of ram and wait for more to come in the mail... :mad:

Ya might want to try out some Mushkin 3000 or 3200.. That might get ya what ya want but i havent tryied them yet.. Thats what i was going to get at newegg at the time i grabed the samsung.. I wish i would of spent the 20 bucks more and bought the stuff.. Basicly its just hand picked samsung chips on some qualitly PCB board.

I got a chance to grab them at a computer shot this weekend.. but i'll have to drive an hour to do so.. Plus the guy only has one stick left... sucks.

Yeah i know what ya mean about the reviews out there on the net.. Its pretty damn fustrating. I did see a reveiw of some 2100 mushkin that did 200fsb with a score of 3000+.. Was pretty nice but cant remember where now.. If i see it again i'll post it.

Be carefull with the vdimm mod if ya gota do it.. I tryied it and thought i was carefull but not... When i powered her on it wouldnt trun on... So i turned the pot i used a little and tried again..no good.. So in fustration i turned it all the way to one side and turned it on and pop! One of the chips on my Kingmax 3200 stick that i was going to RAM had a nice little hole in one of the chips.. So i couldnt return it now. I'd say it isint worth it.. Find the stick of all sticks.. Though i hear that Mushkin dont need high voltage to do its thing.

I got a link to a nice review but its with an Intel system.. crap... its on the other system... hehe damn... Well i'm no good here.. When i get the other computer up i'll post it... Its pretty good, the guys pretty detailed with the benching and stuff.. Its with 12 different memory sticks.. End result is that the TwinMos 2700 was the best since it could go way past 200 but with high voltage.

Oh i did fine a video review at www.3dgameman.com He had our board and he used the OCZ 3200 512 i think it was and he got it to 210! Cant remember what voltage though.. but he didnt do no mods to the board... Ya should check that out. Though i have heard others complain about that ram.

I believe a guy by the name of oppainter has the Mushkin 3000 at 225fsb... He hangs out at the

http://www.icronticforums.com Fourms... might want to find him and see what he's using now..

Please Let me know

Yeah, I'm waiting til monday for that OCZ 3000 REV 2 CAS2.
I'll tell you how it does. Let me know how that Mushkin does if you get it.

Sounds great

Yeah that sounds even better. If the OCZ turns out to be a flop then I'll try this XtremeDDR next then. Hum I totally forgot about the AGP issue. Damn, one hurdle after another.

The OCZ will be here on monday. I ordered it from newegg on Wed night. I sure wish the FedEx would deliver on saturday. I hate waiting over the weekend :)

Cool... Yeah i hate it when FedX has my package a day earlier and they wont let me pick it up at the warehouse... Like last time.. They got it Wednesday morning like 8 am... and it was 3 day shipping meaning it should of been to my house that day but for some freakin reason they held it till Thursday... and on top of that they wouldnt let me pick it up on Wednesday evening which sucked cause its right next to my house... They did that twice to me.

Oh i read something thread and he said he got his freakin Samsung to 220 with an epox 8K3A... With a score of 3300+ in sandra... Must be freakin nice.. But i know that the Epox has relaxed timmings and most memory will go higher on it.. hell my second computer has the Epox 8K3A.. Wish i had some ram for it..hehe.. Will be fun once i find that great ram and slap it in there i can select the vdimm to 3.20 volts if i feel like it. Thats about the only thing good about the epox.. No mod needed for the dimms or the vcore.

It would be nice if some merchant would gaurantee us Samsung CB3 chips but I can't find any. Newegg said their chips were Samsung CB3 but it turn out to be bogus. I guess we're gonna have to buy one of the other sticks like the Corsair or the XtremeDDR since that's the only way we can be sure we'll be getting CB3 chips.

Heres that link to the best memory review i've seen yet... Give it a look over...

P.S. Yo nuon Ya better give me a heads up when ya get your ram running! heheh

Check it

Oh now i've read from one post that cause of Samsung's new bad batch that even other companies that sell those ships on there PCB are also effected by the DTL batch... Meaning.. I'ts just gona be real damn fun getting 200+ with anything like Cosair,Mushkin...ect...ect..

God and i had a feeling that would happen to me 2.. SInce i had bad luck with the most popular Samsung Original ram, that even if i went for the tested hand picked Mushkin that the same would happen..

hehe God i feel i might have to hunt down some ram on ebay soon hehehe... Its getting that bad.

If you can't wait for the Samsung DDR400, then you may have better luck with a generic Samsung PCB like POWMEM with the "C" rev. chips. make suer somone reads the actual chip #'s to you before you buy. I had a Powmem that was very close to real Samsung "C" rev. sticks. Both went over 200.

Here is the bad boy!
level2_512.gif

That my friends... is the stick to buy! hehehe.. Hell yeah.. Just got off the phone with a super friendly nice FULL of information guy at Mushkin by the name of Nathan, ext 207 that told me that the bomb stick that will overclock the highest to 200 at max settings is the 512MB Hi Perf LEVEL 2 2100 222... Just came out not too long ago.

Check it out

There running a specail on it right now... 10 bucks off! BUY IT!!

I did :beer:

Hey Nuon and Knownkiller, the sticks you got from Newegg that were DTL, was that 256 MB or 512 MB sticks? I thought only the 512 MB sticks were DTL?

I bought 2 256 sticks and they were the DTL ones... Also i called newegg about it and they siad that they would not hand pick them and i would get either the ctl or dtl if i ordered again..

If ya got 200 bucks go for the Mushkin 512 2100 cl2 ,2,2,2 level 2...

They sell it cheaper at newegg then at Mushkin themsleves... Only $186.00 at newegg..

The guy at Mushkin said that that stick was his first choice in getting the closet to 200 at max settings.. His third choice was the 3200... which is funny cause thats rated at 200FSB hehe..

Oh yeah... Newegg said that they are going to update there site to say either or (CTL-DTL) on the 256 sticks..

Knownkiller, know what the problem is with that Mushkin PC2100? It is rated 2-2-2, but at what mhz? Probably 160-185 or something. Plus it is $199 for a 512 MB stick!

Corsair XMS3200 is rated 200 mhz and 2.5-3-3-6-2, but it will probably do 2-2-2-5-1 at 160-185.

Back