• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of getting rid of My RDRAM and mobo for a DDR solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
I am thinking about getting rid of the RDRAM and going with DDR. I have a couple of questions.

How much of a differnce am I really going to see(playing games, surfing the net, playing DVD's, etc.)

What is the best chipset available for DDR right now. I have heard good things about the SiS 645DX.

I will be getting 512Mb of Corsair XMS PC3200 if I decide to go the DDR route.

Also was thinking about these mobos; ASUS P4S533, ABIT SA7,and open to anyother suggestions.

I am not decided if I am going to go that route. Its just a thought I am throwing around in my head right now.

Very little difference in actual use.
You get a much bigger sandra mem score with rdram but a much smaller increase in game frame rates.

If you are going to use a 2.26b cpu in a ddr board and overclock it you probably are not going to want to use a sis chipset board because they have no pci/agp bus lock. They are fine with 1.8a-2.4a's but you can run pretty high fsb's with the B series chips when overclocking.
I would look into a abit BD7-II for that cpu.

The I850e boards that are out now are not very good for overclocking the 2.26b cpu either they have max fsbs of 150-156.

I am just wondering how my TH7II will hold up with the high fsb. I am really worried about my Rambus holding me back.

Some say the board is not very stable at high fsb's.
I have never owned one so that is just what I have heard.
Ask in the abit board section.

Here is my ddr boards cache-memory bench.

Last edited:
They are ok depends what fsb you run and how high your memory can go.
Can you get this at 139fsb on a 845g? Sandra shows 140 but wcpuid shows 139.05.
Every review I have seen where the sis645 is used as a comparison they use the memory at 2700 and not 3200 like the chipset allows.

Last edited:
Back