• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To ECC or not to ECC??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayneDolesman

I am going to be building a Server that is going to host a rather large game world (Neverwinter Nights, for those familiar with it). Here are the basic specs, first off:

P4a, either 1.8 or 2.0 - planning to OC to 133FSB, so PCI & AGP in spec, only CPU is overclocked.
Abit BD7-II
2x512MB DDR
2x60gb Maxtor ATA133 HD - RAID 0
Onboard LAN (realtek)
Onboard Audio (forget... )
Cheap CDRom
Cheap Video card

Now, the question is.. should I go with ECC memory?

I figured with the RAID setup, it may be a better idea to go with ECC memory? I need this system to be 110% stable.. I am *planning* on trying to OC the CPU using 133FSB.. (unless of course it's not stable) - so I plan on running everything else in Spec..

I am going to buy the memory locally, my choices are:

2x512MB ECC PC2100

or

2x512MB non ECC PC2700 (or PC2100)

I will run the memory at 1:1, 133(266) if needed. I was debating on trying for 4:3, 177(354).. but again, I am looking for stability on top of performance, so I'll probably just go 1:1, 133(266).

Performance is desierable, but I definately need stability.. I am kinda iffy still on running IDE RAID, but I think I am going to give it a try..

So, ECC or no? (the board is suppose to support ECC, BTW)

Opinions?

Last edited:
Well.. I just did search on ECC and got a bunch of info.. (why I didn't do it before I posted.. no clue)..

It seems that maybe I should go ECC, as I am particuarly concerned with stability for this machine that will be my game server..

Unless anyone else has any other opinions?

For stability definately go with ECC, but don't plan on OC'ing much with it, it tends to be finniky.

As I said.. I only plan on going 133FSB, or nothing at all.. everything, including memory at 1:1, will be in spec, except for the CPU.

Back