• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wierd WU progress

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xanthan

Disabled
ok i finally got the command line program running thanks to a little help :)
befor i went shopping the setispy program said the WU would take 3 hours 11 minutes, i come back 2 hours later and it says it will take another 4 hours still ???? is something wrong here or what hehe.....

The "guesstimate" that SETISpy gives you is based on the information it is processing at the time, and in the first few percent of a WU, it guesses way low. (About 2h 40m for me, at the start)

But as it crunches more of the WU, the more accurate the prediction for completing it gets.......

And welcome to the Team!

SETISpy Estimates

SETISpy estimates are very inaccurate during the very early stages of a WU. Then as the client progresses with the WU SETISpy has more data on which to adjust it's estimated completion time. Then usually near the very end of a WU you will see things speed up again just a little bit. Your best estimates usually occur when you are about 50% complete with a WU.

Hope it helps.

SkyHook

DARN, I HAVE GOT TO LEARN TO TYPE FASTER!!!:D :D :D

Re: SETISpy Estimates

SkyHook said:
SETISpy estimates are very inaccurate during the very early stages of a WU. Then as the client progresses with the WU SETISpy has more data on which to adjust it's estimated completion time. Then usually near the very end of a WU you will see things speed up again just a little bit. Your best estimates usually occur when you are about 50% complete with a WU.

Hope it helps.

SkyHook

DARN, I HAVE GOT TO LEARN TO TYPE FASTER!!!:D :D :D

RedDeathDrinker is a mad man behind the CPU. 200wpm :D J/K

Sounds a little slow to me. But that's just one work unit, you'll find times can vary quite a bit from one unit to another. After seeing the times from a couple dozen you'll get a better idea of what the average time for your system is.
I can tell you my Athlon 1133@1213 with SDRAM did a WU in around 5:25. Now I've got DDR and I've also moved up to 1275 and it takes about 4:55.
I've heard many good things about those Morgan Durons and cruching WUs and I'm pretty sure they can do better than 6 hours.
Do you have any anti-virus software installed that might be constantly checking what Seti is doing? That could make a difference. There's a few guides to tweaking Seti availible so give them a read and see if you can knock some time off your WUs.
And welcome to the team by the way, it's good to see more people getting interested in Seti and this team. We'll need all the help we can get to pass the frogz.

Last edited:
WU's "AR" is very important

One thing to keep in mind when talking about and comparing times is the importance of a WU's AR number. In the attached picture you will see I have the AR circled. That number can range from 0.000(and even negative values I have been told) to numbers like 14.something. As a general rule the lower that number is the longer that WU is going to take to process. That is not hard and fast, some very low AR's have been completed in very quick times, but generally the lower the AR the slower. On the teamsite we have a "Benchmark" WU which is a 0.417 AR if I'm not mistaken. It is a WU that is not turned in to SETI but is run and the results are entered on a page on our site. That way people can make an honest comparason of what various machine configurations do on a level playing field.

SkyHook

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

i have now completed 4 units and my average is at 6 hours or so. seems like something is not working quite right to me hehe.
i am not using any firewall, only things running is my LAN, DSL, MBM5 and seti driver/spy.

my celeron finsished its first unit in just over 7 hours, i would have thought a duron 1.3 +OC would be doing it much faster then a slower celeron hehe.

i looked through the help topics but didnt see anything obvious that was wrong.

oh well atleast its working hehe. once again thanks guys.

Back