• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get squat outa my Samsung DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DmdStar

I took the plunge and decided to replace my OCZ 256MB PC3000 stick with a Samsung 512MB PC2700 stick with the hopes that I would get the low CAS and high FSB that some of you have been getting with it. I burned it in with Sandra Memory Bench steady for 3 days, and decided to start fooling around with the settings after that.

Well, whenever I move the CAS below 2.5 or up the other settings any higher than "Normal" I can't boot into WinXP at all! Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I've seen that some of you are running this mem on Turbo settings at over 166... How the heck did you get it to do that? Perhaps I need to try a different burn-in method?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
DmdStar, do you have the DTL stick? A lot depends on the motherboard. I had a CTL Samsung PC2700 stick (512 MB), and on an MSI 645E MAX-LRU, it would not do anything faster than 'NORMAL' period! And this is at only 193 mhz. The BIOS had 'FAST', 'TURBO', and 'ULTRA' settings, but I could never get the system stable at anything else but 'NORMAL'.

You're kidding me! There's more than one kind??? Argh! This hobby is really starting to tick me off! :mad: I feel like the guy in Jon's avatar above.

How do I tell if it's a "DTL" stick? (and I assume this is the better one?)

Last edited:
How do I tell if it's a "DTL" stick? (and I assume this is the better one?)
Look at the sticker that came on the RAM...you will have a Samsung PN like M386L****DTL - CB3. This would be DTL RAM...but as a general rule, the CTL overclocks better. I have a stick of DTL that won't do 2.5-2-2-6 at 165! (It's getting sent back, btw ;) )

Clevor said:
DmdStar, do you have the DTL stick? A lot depends on the motherboard. I had a CTL Samsung PC2700 stick (512 MB), and on an MSI 645E MAX-LRU, it would not do anything faster than 'NORMAL' period! And this is at only 193 mhz. The BIOS had 'FAST', 'TURBO', and 'ULTRA' settings, but I could never get the system stable at anything else but 'NORMAL'.

are u kidding? "only" 193?????

do u know what kind of voltages the overcl9ockers that run samsung at 200+ use on the ram! well over 3.2v, ive talked to someone at icrontic with a dimm voltage of 3.6 to reach 215mhz.

i sincerely doubt your even using higher than the mobo's limit.

Well, I think I may have gotten jipped and got a generic PCB with Samsung chips... I don't have a sticker on there with letters like that. :(

The good news is... I got my new proc unlocked, and have the board running stable at 190 FSB... so I guess it's not too bad. :burn: That'll help me out, even if I have to leave it at CAS2.5. ;)

EDIT: Oh BTW, my vDimm is set at 2.9v.

DmdStar said:
Well, I think I may have gotten jipped and got a generic PCB with Samsung chips... I don't have a sticker on there with letters like that. :(

The good news is... I got my new proc unlocked, and have the board running stable at 190 FSB... so I guess it's not too bad. :burn: That'll help me out, even if I have to leave it at CAS2.5. ;)

EDIT: Oh BTW, my vDimm is set at 2.9v.

did you get it from newegg? they just issued some return policy if you recieved DTL when it was clearly marked CTL on their site.

rma that stuff back to them.

Nope, I got it from Googlegear.com. First time ordered from them. They had it cheaper than most places, and the order was shipped quick. No quams about them, really, but I guess they don't sell the REAL Samsung sticks... This one appears to be coping tho. I think I could squeeze some more Mhz out of it too. It's not screaming at all.

Back