• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hide SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heezer7

how can i hide seti so no one sees it running really unless they look some where like the ctrl alt del. i want to sneak seti onto my brother's Win 98 machine but he won't want it running so i have to hide it. he is almost never oin it but it runs 24/7 like mine. i would put it on my dad's 2 1.4 xp's but he is smart enought to find it. my brother is not. can i set up driver to be hidden?

oh and when are the seti servers going to start working worth a **** again. i have so many wu to send out. about 60. good i cashed 200

I think there was a program called "SetiHide" where it hides SetiSpy and Driver from the task bar, but it leaves a little grey area so that maybe bad since your brother can just random click on it.

heezer7 said:
oh and when are the seti servers going to start working worth a **** again. i have so many wu to send out. about 60. good i cashed 200

Huh? I haven't had a problem for a couple of weeks? I got 30+ units today with no problem?

I also had that same problem with hiding it on my office machines. I just run setispy w/ the clc. SetiSpy has the option to keep running the clc even if spy closes. so i renamed the clc to System Idle Service and it runs fine. Nobody notices it even our sys admin. :)

Also here
This will allow you set up SETI as a service. Make sure you have SETIDriver config'd to start the CLC. Make Fire Daemon setup SETIDriver as a service. This will automatically start SETIDriver and the CLC. Make you setup the CLC to run on LOW priority in SETIDriver because it is not easy to stop the SETI service if you need CPU cycles for other things (requires changing the service to manual start and rebooting). Some of this can be real confusing so don't hesitate to post, email, or PM your questions.

-JR

What you need to do is convince him that this program "needs" to be run whenever the computer is on. The easiest way to do that is to let him know about new generation of trojan virus. Let him know that new strains of these very damaging trojans are released every few hours and can wreck havoc on all parts of the computer, from the memory and hard drive to the floppy drive, CDR/RW even the lights on the front of the case will malfunction.

See to it that he is aware that these newest varieties can also infect the memory circiuts of your telephone if using a dial up modem or DSL and the television is at risk if using a cable modem. Once the virus gets into the telephone or cable lines it is very difficult to remove, sometimes the only remedy is the costly replacement of the actual lines within the walls of the house. I hope he doesn't live in a multi-unit apartment building or condo. By the way let him know that homeowners insurance will not cover this.

Let him know about the secret trojan anti-virus program that you are furtunate enough to be BETA testing right now, Selective Elimination of Trojan Infestion.

Be sure to explain to him that the latest strains of these virus are programmed to recognize anti-virus software, for this reason this new program makes no mention of it's anti-virus properties and it is cleverly disguised as a scientific research project. Show him how to read the results and what each means in relation to the trojan removal process (the interpretation is up to you).

Make sure that you let him know that the speed of the computer will determine how often the program needs to be updated (those virus writers sure are busy) and that this nifty little program will handle that all by itself.

If he buys into this, you can explain to him how much better this program would be able to do its job if he would let you increase the FSB and memory timings a little bit. For that matter explain how a bank of computers are that much more effective at eliminating the potential problems that a single machine may let slip through. The old adage, "strength in numbers", applies in this case.

In my case, my wife and kids are very much aware of how important the above situation is and will not even consider running one of these computers if that reassuring "SETI" anti-virus icon is not visable in the taskbar.

Good Luck!

FRANK said:
What you need to do is convince him that this program "needs" to be run whenever the computer is on. The easiest way to do that is to let him know about new generation of trojan virus. Let him know that new strains of these very damaging trojans are released every few hours and can wreck havoc on all parts of the computer, from the memory and hard drive to the floppy drive, CDR/RW even the lights on the front of the case will malfunction.

See to it that he is aware that these newest varieties can also infect the memory circiuts of your telephone if using a dial up modem or DSL and the television is at risk if using a cable modem. Once the virus gets into the telephone or cable lines it is very difficult to remove, sometimes the only remedy is the costly replacement of the actual lines within the walls of the house. I hope he doesn't live in a multi-unit apartment building or condo. By the way let him know that homeowners insurance will not cover this.

Let him know about the secret trojan anti-virus program that you are furtunate enough to be BETA testing right now, Selective Elimination of Trojan Infestion.

Be sure to explain to him that the latest strains of these virus are programmed to recognize anti-virus software, for this reason this new program makes no mention of it's anti-virus properties and it is cleverly disguised as a scientific research project. Show him how to read the results and what each means in relation to the trojan removal process (the interpretation is up to you).

Make sure that you let him know that the speed of the computer will determine how often the program needs to be updated (those virus writers sure are busy) and that this nifty little program will handle that all by itself.

If he buys into this, you can explain to him how much better this program would be able to do its job if he would let you increase the FSB and memory timings a little bit. For that matter explain how a bank of computers are that much more effective at eliminating the potential problems that a single machine may let slip through. The old adage, "strength in numbers", applies in this case.

In my case, my wife and kids are very much aware of how important the above situation is and will not even consider running one of these computers if that reassuring "SETI" anti-virus icon is not visable in the taskbar.

Good Luck!

What are you talking about??? I do not think a virus can infect a conventianal phone

ok that was weird. i followed you but i guess the other guy didn't. well first the computer is 2 ft from me right now. he knows what seti is. i just want to run it on his cpomputer under my name. it is only a 550 k6-2 but everything helps

if "just" wanna have SETI run & hiding, the best way is to use SETIHide & just CLI. that's what i'm using. and in Win9x, u could also set SETIHide autostart too. and it could cache WUs also.

if need help on installing it, feel free to let me know!

good luck!! ;)

i just set up the setihide. i am waiting to see if it worked. do you see it when you hit ctrl alt del or is it totally invisible? i am watching the state file to se if progresws is going up

heezer7 said:
i just set up the setihide. i am waiting to see if it worked. do you see it when you hit ctrl alt del or is it totally invisible? i am watching the state file to se if progresws is going up
w/ SETIHide, when u hit "ctrl-alt-delete, it will only show a program called SETIHide is running. but here's a little tip: when u r installing it, u could rename SETIHide to something like win9x.exe, ctrl.exe, win.exe, etc. things like that. so, when people check on the task manager, it'll be less obvious!! doesn't have the word "SETI" on it!! ;)

Back