• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u tell between ctl and dtl samsung 2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RatBag

Registered
Hi guys long time reader of the forums first time post.the subject says it all i reasently bought some samsung ddr2700 and want to no how i can tell if its the ctl or dtl.I live in canada so maybe they have the ctl pcb here thnx for your replys.....RatBag

Hmmmm i see some stickers on there but none specify weather its ctl or dtl ......Is there another way :D

On 1 sticker it says 06.197 and on the other 061823 and on the mem chips themselves ............K4H280838D-TCB3 samsung 220

Thanx for all the replys people yes you r correct it is dtl maybe thats why i cant get past 170fsb turbo with it .....ohwell

i see on newegg's site that the 512mb stick is either ctl or dtl, yet the 256mb sticks are still labeled as ctl. is the 256 stick still ctl? i had planned on purchasing a bigtime upgrade which i'll overclock (naturally) and im glad someone told me about the samsung memory going downhill or i would have never known. right now i can only afford 256mb so if newegg is still selling ctl i will have no problems.

my purchase plans:
Abit BG7
Intel 1.6a
Gainward GF4 Ti4200
Samsung DDR PC2700 256mb (hopefully ctl)
Enermax full tower 330W case don't remember the model number (the blue one, lol)

upgrading from:
1ghz tbird @1250
Shuttle AK31a
Crucial 512mb PC2100 @ 142mhz
Gainward GF2 MX400 64mb
cheap *** case.. yuck.

first post here... surely many more to come :)

later. chris.

Last edited:
there should be a sticker on the left hand side of the module. On this sticker it will say Samsung. Also on this sticker will be some letters and numbers. Is that the sticker you have?

RatBag said:
Thanx for all the replys people yes you r correct it is dtl maybe thats why i cant get past 170fsb turbo with it .....ohwell

Ratbag... Where did ya buy that sticks at? If ya dont see a sticker that says samsung on the left sticker and underneath Korea then its not Samsung Original.. Sounds like with the numbers you gave its just samsung chips on a 3rd party stick. Prob why it wont overclock well.

The DTL is in the model number left sticker.. The same one that will say Samsung.. Heres my model number on the left..

MC68L3223DTL - CB3

If it was a good stick it would of had CTL insted of DTL.

I got mine from Newegg.com... They still show it as a CTL stick but its not!!!!!!!! I complained to them yesterday on the phone and they said that they would have someone change it ASAP. But i guess not... They obviously wont to trick everyone cause they only changed the 512 sticks... I know this cause i have seen lots of posts of people that are getting DTL with the 256 sticks... And i got 2 sticks of 256 the other day from them that are DTL.

Try somewhere else and dont buy it unless its Samsung Original... Not Original Samsung on chips... Everyones selling Samsung chips on there own PCB sticks.. They wont overclock well... Unless your lucky and find one with the name POWMEM... whicih can be found JK TRADING But they are out of the USA..

Yes you r corret its not samsung original its micron/samsung i bought it from a company in the vancouver area called www.a-power.com .............it actualy isnt doing to bad but not as good as the original right now i have it at 195 fsbx2 at 2363 4way 8q 1cmd

KnownKiller said:

Ratbag... Where did ya buy that sticks at? If ya dont see a sticker that says samsung on the left sticker and underneath Korea then its not Samsung Original.. Sounds like with the numbers you gave its just samsung chips on a 3rd party stick. Prob why it wont overclock well.

The DTL is in the model number left sticker.. The same one that will say Samsung.. Heres my model number on the left..

MC68L3223DTL - CB3

If it was a good stick it would of had CTL insted of DTL.

I got mine from Newegg.com... They still show it as a CTL stick but its not!!!!!!!! I complained to them yesterday on the phone and they said that they would have someone change it ASAP. But i guess not... They obviously wont to trick everyone cause they only changed the 512 sticks... I know this cause i have seen lots of posts of people that are getting DTL with the 256 sticks... And i got 2 sticks of 256 the other day from them that are DTL.

Try somewhere else and dont buy it unless its Samsung Original... Not Original Samsung on chips... Everyones selling Samsung chips on there own PCB sticks.. They wont overclock well... Unless your lucky and find one with the name POWMEM... whicih can be found JK TRADING But they are out of the USA..

I'd go Mushkin.. Better overclock then the Crucial 2700... Go for the 3000 for 4 bucks more.. i'd tell ya to get the 512 2100 High Perf Level 2 Cas2 2,2,2 but Mushkin is outa stock on them right now.. Got mine yeaterday thank god!

You can find it at newegg for 186 if ya got the bucks... I think they have free fedx express shipping as well on that ram.

Even Mushkin and corsair are having supply problems with the good "CTL" chips right now. You should really try to hold off for the upcoming Samsung 3200 release (Samsung PCB). The model will have a CB4 at the end of the chip # instead of a CB3.

I just pulled a 256 Meg stick of CTL Samsung on an Alpha Omega PCB that I got from Newegg which was billed as OCZ memory. According to Sisoft Sandra it shows CAS 2 to 150Mhz and speed of 6.7 nano-seconds. I have replaced it with PC2700 Rev 2 OCZ CAS 2 and it is flawless. So if someone needs a CTL let me know maybe we can work a deal of some sort.

OHL

Back