• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dang Heat Spreads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberShark85

Registered
Man are these a pain! Does anyone know how to get these things off? Mine has 2 clips around it and seem impossible to budge. Here is a pic of the heat spread
buyaib_1681_1451334

Thanks in advance!

I need to see what model of memory I have to see if I need to return it or not. I bought Samsung PC2700 512MB ram and think it's not the "true" version so i'll prolly return it. I just need to check underneath to see if this ram is bad or not. Thanks

Get the clips off wih a small screwdriver and then carefully pull the metal apart. I used a very small screwdriver to apply leverage very carefully and gradually to between the chips and the metal and finally got it off. Requires a great deal of patience. You can't really reuse the spreader once it is off because it will be bent out of shape and it will be pretty obvious you took it off. It is very easy to damage the chip this way so be very carefull. It is probably that you will void your warranty this way so keep that in mind.

KnownKiller said:
Well soing so will probably viod the warrenty and damage or bend the spreader also possable damage the chips..

If it dont overclock well then return it...

i agree. i just ordered some mushkin pc3000 and it has a heat spreader on it.. i think it looks pretty cool myself. but if it doesn't perform newegg will have an rma waiting for them.

Thanks for the advice guys. Can any of you share with me on how memory overclocking works and how to do it? I'm pretty new to OC'ing RAM, and want to test out my Samsung chipset because I think it's pretty crappy (cost way cheap and aint originial). Thanks a bunch

CyberShark85 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Can any of you share with me on how memory overclocking works and how to do it? I'm pretty new to OC'ing RAM, and want to test out my Samsung chipset because I think it's pretty crappy (cost way cheap and aint originial). Thanks a bunch

you overclock the memory by overclocking the front side bus. so just take your FSB up from stock til it wont boot and there you go.

to get a stable system run it through 3dmark2001se a couple times. if it crashes take it down a mhz or 2 then do it again. once you can do everything normal without any hangups you have your stable speed. from the looks of the other posts your DTL (i assume thats what you have) Sammy memory will top out at about 145-150, pretty weak if you ask me.

Thanks, Maxvla. I also wanted to know what stuff like "2-2-2-T1" and what not stand for. I know this has to do with OC'ing RAM but dunno what these values stand for and what is ideal/good. Thanks

Back