• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700 ddr or 3000 ddr? which should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerky

ok, here's the deal. i'm going to be getting some new ram for my pc. i have an abit at7, an xp1700 processor, and a evga gf 4 ti 4200 videocard, i also have a 430 watt antec psu. so is it possible to run the 3000 ddr ram on my amd board, or can i only go as high as 2700?
the reason i ask is because i see people saying they're using the 3000 ram and others say they are running 2700 ram. is the 3000 ddr only for pentium based mobos? or can i use it with my abit at7?

SWEEET!
i was getting ready to get corsair 512/2700.
i didn't know i could actually run 3000!!!!!!! :eek:
whoohoooo! :eek:
VROOOM!
:burn:
thanks for the tip!!!!!!!! ::cool:

*edit* DOH! there out right now. lol!

Jerky said:
SWEEET!
i was getting ready to get corsair 512/2700.
i didn't know i could actually run 3000!!!!!!! :eek:
whoohoooo! :eek:
VROOOM!
thanks for the tip!!!!!!!! ::cool:

*edit* DOH! there out right now. lol!

talking about the Mushkin? site says they still have stock.
they better... cause i ordered mine about 7 hours ago. lol.

im pretty sure if your mb says it can only support sumthing and you go higher it will still only run at your mb's max settings...but it still has the rams ocing potential. can any1 back me up on that?

mobo's ratings are at stock FSB. to make good use of the better memory you turn up the FSB and then you find out why you paid more for the handpicked memory.

Starfox said:
get the mushkin!

195 mhz turbo cas 2 :p

once i get my new system you'll hafta tell me how to change the timing/turbo cause i've never done that before cause my crucial PC2100 memory doesn't even like anything above 145FSB on stock timings.

Maxvla said:

talking about the Mushkin? site says they still have stock.
they better... cause i ordered mine about 7 hours ago. lol.
no, i meant the 512 not the 256. they still have the 256 in stock.

Jerky said:
no, i meant the 512 not the 256. they still have the 256 in stock.

ah... gotcha. they have an autonotify thing which works very well. try it.

yeah, i saw that 3200 as well (looks killer). maybe i could get that and really get this mutha to go extra screamin fast. :D
if i could get that to run at high end speed... LOOK OUT!
the only thing i don't understand is the mushkin memory says it's cl 2.5 and the corsair memory says it's cl 2... so wouldn't the corsair actually be better? :confused: :beer:

starfox and others have their pc3000 mushkin running at cl2 at 200+ FSB so i don't think you'll encounter any problems with getting the mushkin over the much more expensive corsair.

and you really don't need pc3200 (about 195mhz) unless you have a "b" series p4, one of the latest. and the pc3200 is more expensive and just not worth it to me at this point.

ok, ok that was taken in, thanks for the info. but in my abit at7 bios it only lets me set my memory settings to 133 or 166?? how do i get it higher? do i just up the cpu fsb? or the voltage to the dimms?? is there a tweak i can run in my bios for my dimms that will let me go past the 166 setting? because it's "blue'd" out.
keep in mind i'm new at this :)

You should be able to run the FSB as high as you want, as the AT7 has locked AGP/PCI settings. It only lets you run 166 or 133? It doesn't say 1/1 or 5/1 or something like that?

Penguin4x4 said:
You should be able to run the FSB as high as you want, as the AT7 has locked AGP/PCI settings. It only lets you run 166 or 133? It doesn't say 1/1 or 5/1 or something like that?
hmmm, i've been messing around in the bios lately but i'm not sure i follow. lol!
it says user defined (or something like that) and i can change the dimm setting to auto, 133, or 166) but there are two "blued out" settings (i don't think i can change) that are above it.

i'll go look, write down what i see and then post it. brb.

Jerky said:
hmmm, i've been messing around in the bios lately but i'm not sure i follow. lol!
it says user defined (or something like that) and i can change the dimm setting to auto, 133, or 166) but there are two "blued out" settings (i don't think i can change) that are above it.

i'll go look, write down what i see and then post it. brb.
here's what i came up with.

---------------------------
CPU SETUP:

cpu operating speed: 1700+ (133) - *or change to user defined
cpu, fsb, clock (mhz): 133/166 - *or change manualy from 100 -250
ratio: (fsb:agp: pci) 4:2:1 - * or can manualy change the fsb to 3,4,5
multiplier factor: x11 - *can change from 5 to over13
speed error control: disabled
enhance for benchmark: disabled

----------------------------
CPU PWR SUPPLY: ...i had these set a default, but i listed what it can do.

cpu power supply: 1.10 to 1.85v
i/o voltage: 3.50 to 3.65
ddr voltage: 2.55 to 2.85

DRAM CLOCK DRIVE CONTROL:
(*BLUED OUT SETTINGS ARE ---> current fsb: 133
current dram frequency: 133

dram clock: - * can be changed to either spd - 133 - 166 (have set at 133) ...i'm running 2100 ram right now
dram timing: manual
dram cas latency 2
bank interleave: 4 bank
pre charge to active (trp): 2t
active to precharge (tras): 5t
active to cmd (trcd): 3t

ddr dqs input: auto (25) - *can be set to a bunch of different numbers each way by 1 up or 1 down, 1 - 100 or something. i didn't really check

ddr dqs output delay: auto (40) - *can be set to a bunch of different numbers each way by 1 up or 1 down, 1 - 100 or something. i didn't really check

--------------------------------------
dram access: 2t
dram queue depth: 4 level
dram command rate: 1t
dclk feedback delay: ps

those above can be changed also

now. what the hell do i do? lol!
:p :confused:

Back