• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About using higher frequency DDR RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I want to use PC3000 or maybe even 3200 on my ABIT KX7-333r but the specs say it will only run up to 2700 i was wondering if I HAVE to unlock the CPU and crank down the mult and then boost up the FSB to get the higher RAM to work or if theres another way, or what happens someone help me understand, thanks

Matt

pc3000, pc3200 memory is really just handpicked pc2700.

you can run it with no adjustments :)

yeah but then wont it just run at 2700 speeds if i dont make adjustments or will it run at the higher frequncys?

Matt

you are right... you will hafta up the FSB to get the benefit of the better ram.

all you asked is if you could run the memory in the board. :cool:

OOOOO so it will just run at the lower speeds until i up the FSB? are u sure??? and once i do up the FSB will it run at the speed its suposed to? thanks for being the only one nice enough to anwser my question by the way ;)

Matt

pirate252 said:
OOOOO so it will just run at the lower speeds until i up the FSB? are u sure??? and once i do up the FSB will it run at the speed its suposed to? thanks for being the only one nice enough to anwser my question by the way ;)

Matt

ok... lets learn something real quick.

the pc3000 and pc3200 are really pc2700 that perform better. any of those will run at whatever the FSB is stock in the board. so if you have a p4 1.6a with a system bus of 100mhz when you put the memory in first time the memory will run at 200mhz (FSBx2), which is way below all three's speed ratings. as you up the FSB the slower rated chips will start to have stability problems once you pass their rating. 2700 is about 170ish mhz, 3000 is 183, 3200 is like 195.

so you can put any of those memory sticks in your computer and they will perform the same until you reach each one of their limits. the slower memory failing first, etc.

there is no "speed its supposed to run" cause its all subjective. as long as the system is stable whatever you have it running at can be "what its supposed to run". ram is kinda funky but when you understand it... its actually easier to see how the overclocking process works.

need further clarification?

ok so 3000 and 3200 is just "higher quality" 2700 so to speak right?

Thanks for all the help

pirate252 said:
ok so 3000 and 3200 is just "higher quality" 2700 so to speak right?

Thanks for all the help

yep. if you plan to overclock get the best rated memory you can cause it will allow you to run the FSB higher which will in turn make the system run faster.

aside from the speed issue, the better rated memory is a better quality part which means fewer memory errors and a smoother running system, plus a reduced chance of recieving DOA memory.

Back