• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair or Mushkin????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

Well the subject pretty much speaks for itself, i want to overclock the RAM, so whats better, thanks all

Matt

hmm... lets see. mushkin 80 bucks. corsair xms 103 bucks. virtually identical ram.

which would you choose?

If you go the Corsair XMS route make sure you buy the XMS3000 or the XMS3200 and heres why:

The XMS 2700 uses Samsung rev C 7.5ns chips (both the 256 and 512 meg sticks)

The XMS 3000 and 3200 use the same IC's but with 6ns chips....

Mushkin is good stuff as long as you dont give it to much voltage

Yeah, Mushkin hates high voltage. Their PC3000 can go to 220MHz, I know someone here could do that. Had a Yoda avatar.

O sorry i am looking for 3200...but they are almost identical? even corsairs XMS, becasue thats what i would be getting from them, i dont know mushkins different products becasue i havnt looked at them, yet...

Thanks

Matt

Well if the 3000 can run 220, then proportionally, the 3200 can run 235, which IMHO, is absolute crazieness, but thats why we're all here, right?:D Mushkin has bar none the best support in the memory biz. buckhunter can back that up.

I'd go for the Mushkin over the Corsair. I had a stick of that "Pre-tested" Corsair, and quite frankly, it sucked. It couldn't even run 171mhz with aggressive timings. I'm not the only one who's had bad luck with these XMS modules either. In a nutshell, I've heard a lot more negative things about the Corsair than I have the Mushkin, so its Mushkin for me from now on.

Penguin4x4 said:
Exactly. Even the Mushkin 2100 will do 200@2-3-3 1T.

It will eh? I just got my 512 2100 High Perf Level CAS 2 2-2-2 and the only thing stable so far is 170 slow settings like cas2, 3-6-3 T1 and its slow.. and thats at 1.85 volts.. any lower and it errors. 175 i cant make it in windows even at those settings... i've tried 195-200 with teh slowest settings cas2.5 3-6-3 T2 and the computer wont boot..

This is on a Abit KX7R AMD 2100+ some what unlocked since i'm using a low 9.5 multiplier. Could get higher with teh DTL stick.. I could get into windows at 175 max settings but after awhile it would lock in 3D Games.

I'm pretty bumbed out right now.. I'm shock really.. After talking to someone at Mushkin and seeing people on forums saying there getting 185-195 i dont know what to believe anymore.

What do ya guys think? Does Mushkin ram need a burn in??

mushkin for me... even if the corsair performs better its not worth 23 bucks extra per 256mb stick.

i'll be doing good to get to 200-205. that'll be a 100% overclock, which is about as high as i'd ever try.

Maxvla said:
mushkin for me... even if the corsair performs better its not worth 23 bucks extra per 256mb stick.

i'll be doing good to get to 200-205. that'll be a 100% overclock, which is about as high as i'd ever try.

Ok he says that Corsair preforms better but isnt worth the 20 extra bucks...and i hear other places bad things about Hi-Perf Mushkin and bad things about Corsair XMS...so how about just a stick of Mushkin 3000 or Corsair XMS3000 what one would you choose?

Matt

I would go with the corsair, here are my experiences with this chip
I can do 180fsb at 2,2,2,5 1T and I'm currently at 190fsb at 2,3,3,5 1T, here is my sandra benchmark results at 190fsb;
2620mb/s
2407mb/s

Back