• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registered and Unbuffered...wtf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

What do these things mean, whats the diff. I guess that if u have 4 DIMM's like my board will have it will work better if u have registered RAM somone tell me why, and can you still overclock registered RAM, is it not as freindly to overclocking or what AHHHH im confused...

lots of questions tonight! lol.

get unbuffered non-registered non-ecc (error correction)

you don't want any of that cause it'll slow down your memory performance and most of that is geared towards the server market anyways.

The term "registered" refers to how the memory module processes signals. Registered modules contain a register that delays all information transferred to the module by one clock cycle. This type of memory is primarily used in servers and was designed for modules with 32 or more chips on them to help ensure that data is properly handled.

While most PCs will only accept unbuffered SDRAM, there are some that accept registered SDRAM. Keep in mind that when you install registered SDRAM, all of the modules installed in your PC must be registered because unbuffered and registered modules are not interchangeable.

http://support.crucial.com/scripts/...=search&58=&2900=QvfVRBcvpW&25=6&3=registered

What is the difference between buffered and registered memory?

DDR and SDRAM can be unbuffered or registered. EDO and FPM can be buffered or unbuffered. Buffered modules contain a buffer to help the chipset cope with the large electrical load required when the system has a lot of memory. Registered modules do not have a buffer but do contain a register that delays all information transferred to the module by one clock cycle. Buffered and registered modules are typically used only in servers and other mission-critical systems where it is extremely important that the data is properly handled.

http://support.crucial.com/scripts/...=search&58=&2900=QvfVRBcvpW&25=6&3=registered

yes lots of questions ;) ok thanks for all of your help tonight though, but does registered and unregistered have anythign to do with being able to fill all 4 DIMM's???

Thanks u bunch

Matt

not that i know of. you can put any kind of memory in both slots (double banked to make 4 banks).

Depends on the motherboard some and how much memory the four sticks will add up to.

If it's a gig or over you would be better off with registered or buffered ecc in my opinion.

OK so i plan to have 2 - 3 512 sticks but i will only start out with one ( im not made of money) and i plan to overclock the system (including the RAM) and i do want the most preformance out of this so what kind should i get unbuffered and unregistered or registered and buffered...you make it sound like unbuffered and unregistered is for preformance and registered and buffered is for reliablity, thanks for all the help guys.

Matt

Yes that is correct.

When it comes to overclocking less is usually better and faster is better. I do not know why you want so much memory as 512mb is plenty unless you do graphic design or use some other mega memory programs or run a server.

So if you do for sure want 1.5gb of memory eventually and want to keep adding to what you start with then I would go with registered ecc.

ive never needed more than 512mb. not even close.

and he's right... if you have more than one stick in during overclocking it won't work very well.

hmmmm....i still dont know what to do, i now understand what the difference is between the two but i probably will use either just 1 or maybe 2 512 sticks, but i dont know what kind to get...i want preformance but i dont want my system crashing all the time cuz of lost data in the RAM...i plan to do graphics and 3D stuff but no server...yet lol, if i ran a server it would be linux anywayz but back to the subject...i am just confused, ahhhh...yeah, hopfully somone can help, thanks alot for all of your help sofar

Matt

so i guess maybe just one 512 unbuffered unregistered stick might be the bect for what i want to do? will that be enough for 3d animation and cool stuff like that that i want to get into later???

Thanks

Matt

512 should be enough to suit your needs. unless you are running some very intense programs (commercial grade) you shouldn't need 1gb.

ok, thanks for all the help, with only 512 do i need to worry about errors and get registered and buffered or can i get unregistered and unbuffered, becasue i do want preformance, but i dont want errors.

Thanks

Matt

very few regular users have buffered, registered, or error correcting memory. reason? you just don't need it. and they are more expensive.

OK thanks alot, the only thing i was worried about is you made it sound like if i overclocked non reg., or not buffered RAM there may be a very high chance of loosing data, and thats just not cool, but i guess thats not what you meant, thank you very much for being nice enough to help me, i am a newbie, but soon, i will be good at all this too, as long as i keep asking questions and learning ;) thanks again you guys.

Matt

Back