• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless N

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jakey

Registered
I have just got a new adsl netgear modem/router. I only have one device in the network which has a wireless n adaptor. I have 2 PS3's and a laptop not on n.

My PC with an N adaptor is getting 130mbps to 144mbps out of the 300mbps.

My question is shall I set the router to run in up to 145mbps mode? - Will this increase reliability and keep the same speed? - Even create less heat?

Thanks.

I would assume that the difference between 300Mbps mode and 145Mbps mode is that 300Mbps is full duplex and 145Mbps is half. If you change to 145Mbps mode your speed will most likely decrease due to the interface only transmitting OR receiving at once(half duplex) instead of transmitting AND receiving at once(full duplex). The router heat may decrease but probably only by a negligible amount.

Hope this helps.
Brian

300MBPs is the theorictical max that the tech can sustain. It will never be seen with even one wall in place.... you might see close to it in direct line of site in close proximity, but even then it's unlikely.

I think Brian is right. By forcing the router to sustain 145, you'd probably cause it to switch to half duplex, meaning that you can only send OR receive. Not send AND receive. Router heat would be negligible in either case.

Back