• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4gb only showing as 3.25 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theendisgone

Hi, i have just installed 4gb of ram to my pc in bios its showing up as the full 4gb but in windows vista its only showing up as 3.25, anybody any ideas why this would be ? ( the graphics card has its on dedicated memory so cant be that)

Untitled.jpg

Many thanks

Last edited:
Vista 32bit version only support a max of 3.25GB. You need the 64bit version to use 4 or more GB of system memory.

I can't tell by your screenshot but I'm assuming you are running the 32bit version, correct?

If you have Vista 32bit you only get 3.25, if you have 64bit, enable memory remapping feature in BIOS to get all 4gb.

Yep, I fyou want the full 4 gig you will need a 64 bit version. But it doesn't come cheap so you'll have to ask yourself if you really need the 750mb extra. I know it's wasted now, but you can always upgrade later when the prices are a tad lower

what is the driver support like now for 64bit. I was always told there isnt much support for 64bit

64 bit driver support has come a long way since vista was released. It's unlikely that you have any trouble getting all your hardware up and running (unless you are using some old peripherals). browse the windows OS section of the forums if you need reassurance.

I would check with all the drivers/software you need and make sure it can do 64-bit before making the switch. For the most part, companies have released 64-bit drivers. Only thing you need to look out for really is software support.

Back