• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of firewall do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use a Gentoo Linux box running IPTables.

For a home network, something like my setup, or a "real" router (eg. Cisco), IMO allows you to fully control everything that is going through your network.

Besides that, a Cable/DSL Router gets #2 slot, then a software firewall as #3.

I have used Zonealarm, Norton PF, and Sygate PF. Overall, I liked norton the best (as of about a half year ago), zonealarm second, and sygate last (it liked to automatically detect 'intrusions' and auto-ban IPs for seemingly innocent things. (gets really annoying sometimes).

I also have Netgear router for all my four computers. Do I have to do something if I want to use the hardware firewall from that router? My first three IP numbers of my computer is 192.XXX.X.X different from my real IP address.

No. By default, your router should be protecting you.

Just make sure that 'DMZ' is disabled in the router's configuration.

The firewall on the cable/dsl router will block any "not asked for" connection (ie: if you didn't request it, then it's blocked). It allows all outoing connections though, so most trojans will still be effective, if you are infected with one.

Smoothwall set up on an old PC of mine. I love my smoothie.

FreeBSD using ipfilter.

I've got another box that all the machines on my wireless segment go through, it is nat'ing them and filtering them with pf on OpenBSD, only because I'm using it to set up some traffic shaping, not because i'm super paranoid and demand a redundant firewall.

I saw anyone who doesn't use a dedicated firewall box to firewall isn't serious.

I run sygate for the moment, but i have a P166 waiting to be put to use that may run some sort of linux firewall/routing in the near future.

eh? said:
Originally posted by KraziKid
I'm using a Windows Server 2003 box running the Routing and Remote Access service

Thats dangerous, using windows as a firewall platform :D
www.smoothwall.org

Not really. I've had friends with some black experience, and they couldn;t penetrate my firewall. Before this, I was running gentoo with iptables, and they are both equally secure according to my friends (I didn't tell them which OSes they were in advance).

Back