• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercoolin x1900xtx and 1950xt CF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaine16

Registered
so i am gettin the MCW60 from swiftech with the ramsinks for my 2 cards runnin in CF and i am wonderin if anyone has any good threads/articles on installing these things on those cards

i am talkin mainly about spreadin the thermal compound on the core, usin arctic silver 5 here and also anyone usin those ramsinks or any ramsinks that has any good pointers about installin those things and keepin them on the card itself would be great

alot of people claim that the ramsinks fall off fast but i just think that they didnt do their research or just have no common sense :beer:

Whoever said the ramsinks fall off fast is right. I found that out today when I finally got my MCW60 back from RMA. (no mounting hardware) Not even 5 minutes after I flipped the card over one of the sinks fell off. As time went on, 3-4 of them had fallen off. I'm going to try and find some better thermal tape at CompUSA tomorrow. Hopefully they have some. If not, I'm not sure what to do. :eek: Oh and the installation will be a bit smoother with 2 people. With just 2 arms it was a tad tricky.

just wonderin how long did u apply preasure to the sinks when u installed them, alot of people say that if u put weight on em and leave layin around for couple hours then firin up ur rig and doin some heavy video editin or gamin does

also any clue if u can use arctic silver 5 on those ramsinks or do u have to use tape :drool:

I use double sided tape for ramsinks. It doesn't really matter IMHO.

I wouldn't use AS5 since it is capacitive, it could pose an issue.

And I agree MC14 ramsinks are such BS :(

Guys I'd suggest u just spend the money and get the Tyee. AMAZING BLOCKS. I know they are expensive but they cover EVERYTHING. and run insanely cool (depending on your water's Heat dissipation). I have a tyee and LOVE IT. Im even planning on keeping my 1950xtx when ATI physics releases. so in essence it is a decent long term investment.

I can't justify ~$200 for blocks on cards that are almost out of date so as...

When an MCW60 + some ramsinks and airflow are just as good.

The ramsinks fall off because they're concave. Add that with the residue that remains on the ramsink from the thermal pad.

Peel off the stock thermaltape, lap the ramsinks, put a small dab of AS5 in the middle, small dots of super glue on the corners of the ramsink and your problem is solved.

Doesn't matter how long you press the things they'll still remain concave, you'll just have neat little round imprints on your thumb.

well which of ur cards is more powerful? Tyee that one. Keep it once the R600 Hits and then use it for the new AMD/ATI chipset which will allow it to be used as a physics processor. Then it will never be obsolete

Or buy an EK full cover block and get better build quality, better temps, and for a mere 99 dollars!

Maviryk said:
The ramsinks fall off because they're concave. Add that with the residue that remains on the ramsink from the thermal pad.

Peel off the stock thermaltape, lap the ramsinks, put a small dab of AS5 in the middle, small dots of super glue on the corners of the ramsink and your problem is solved.

Doesn't matter how long you press the things they'll still remain concave, you'll just have neat little round imprints on your thumb.

quick question or two

one if i use super glue small amounts will i be able to remove it later on without harmin the ram :drool:

two how long did u lap each ramsink on and what grid paper since its 8 of em pulled off the fan off the 1950xt CF it has a one piece coper heatsink on it thank god for less work :beer:

oh and as for the full coverage blocks no need for em now

later this year i will be probably upgrading my system and buildin my bro one so since he will get another graphics card i will just give him one of the blocks use the swiftech for the x1900xt and use a EK block for the 1950CF and hopefully by then the physical cards will be out so i will get that and CF workin HOT :drool:

Ok, seriously, stop with the TYEE fanboism.

1. Full coverage blocks do not offer lower temps.
2. Vram does not need more than a simple ramsink to be adequately OCed. IIRC some guy in singapore tried to phase his ram and it didn't help a single bit. Also, you've never seen ViperJohn do anything more than a simple ramsink/small fan for his highly modified performance cards.

As for the Superglue, if you use a small dot, it will simply scrape off. However if you lacquer the thing....

I lapped the ramsinks on 220 grit for about 20 seconds with some water, then ran it over some 600 then 2000 grit for about 10 seconds each.

If you have a glass desk, press the ramsink against the bottom and you can clearly see the concavity.

I picked up some double sided tape today which is working great. The tape is very thin so heat will just pass right through it to the sink. Plus it sticks on a million times easier than that bad stock thermal tape.

cool thx i will do the A5S and superglue cause i never trust in tape, i doubt i could keep my oily fingers off the dam tape

IIRC thermaltake's cheapo ramsinks just use a form of double sided tape and most ram heat spreaders just use double sided tape as well.

Eh, it just goes to show you how little your ram chips really need in the way of cooling.

Now the voltage regulators on the other hand...

inkfx said:
I picked up some double sided tape today which is working great. The tape is very thin so heat will just pass right through it to the sink.
I think you may be fooling yourself here. You're losing a magnitude of thermal conductivity with the tape barrier in between the heatsink and the chips.

Get some of this. It's hard to work with, and it doesn't quite "stick" at first. However, after you peel one side off, then attach to the sink and peel the other side off, you're left with a slightly adhesive pink layer which, after a few days of use, becomes an almost permanent bond. It can be difficult to get the second layer peeled off so that it's just the pink thermal layer left on the sink, but this stuff conducts like no other thermal tape I've used.

Back