• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DECODER22

Disabled
hey whats up guys i got a few probs wit windows 2000 adv ser i was wondering why is it when i right click a icon or a folder my pc freezes and the other thing is how do i change what starts up on my pc on windows 2000 adv server plz help guys thx

The freezeups could be caused by any number of things(PSU, drivers, etc.)

The first thing you want to do is boot up, and at the "Please select operating system to start" press F8. Select "Enable Boot Logging'. This will create a file called ntblog.txt. This will let you know what services and drivers are being loaded.

Next, install the Recovery Console, if you haven't already. Insert your 2K CD and when it starts the installation, exit from it. Click
Start>Run and type d:\(your CD drive)\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons:
You will see the Recovery Console screen. Click yes to install.
Reboot when done, and Command Console should show up in your boot.ini file.
From the Recovery Console the command disable [service] or [driver}will turn off the service or driver you don't want to start. REMEMBER to write down what you do if you have to reverse it, which you do by the command enable and adding the start type(Auto, demand, boot, system.)

This is from2K Pro, but should be the same for server

dont know y u could possibly want to run advanced server, you are well within min requirements, yet you are too low to really take advantage of it
but 1st u need to put in SP 2
again dont know what you need to do with it but there are a whole lot of services you should disable
as far as start up your regestry is your best bet
hklocalmachine\software\microsoft\windows-check run/run once/runonceex
but you can right click my computer\manage\system information\softeware environment\startup programs (can also get here from the control panel=system)
and see if that is really what you want to stop, cause it is possibly a service you need to disable
as far as your mouse goes if sp2 dont fix it you need to look at your drivers or other resources
hope this helps

Service pack 2 which can be found at MS's website in the updates area, I believe they are on Service pack 3 now, but I may be mistaken. Service packs should be installed one at a time starting with the first leading up to the last. Hope that helps a bit.

J

i dont knwo what to do maybe im running to slow for this OS its sad that sjut caus ei right click that it freezes up

I'd say its partially your system. You're system is really a little on the slow side for Adv. Server. Minimum requirements . . . Bah! Bulls*it I tell you! Microsoft doesn't mean minimum requirements for excelent system performance. Minimum requirements means "it might get stuff done today, maybe". If I were you, I'd run 2000 Pro or Server, but not Advanced Server.

crap i dont wana change OS again DMAN it and this comp i dont knwo how to over clock it LOL i ahte this como its junk gateway i got for free hehe DAMN IT

Back