• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Signs of bad memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgb303

So before I RMA my 2 sticks of gskill memory back I thought I would double check with you guys about the likelihood of this memory being bad.

I've got 4 sticks total of the memory (DDR3-2000), and on my latest wipe and reinstall of windows I noticed I was only seeing 6gb of the 8 total. I decided to take all the sticks out and re-seat them. Now only two of the sticks work, and if i place the two sticks I suspect to be bad in (in ANY configuration) the system will not boot.

So my delectable comrades, what is your take on the matter?

Edit: I also should mention, that when I state "will not boot" I mean that it turns on but does not reach POST.

Update: I can now start the system with all 4 sticks in, however it still only shows 4GB of memory, except in CPU-Z where it shows 6GB.

Second Update: So regardless of what ram I have in there vista seems to like to randomly bsod on me. Although the computer runs perfectly stable in prime95. Guess I'll give memtest a go.

Last edited:
Back