• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with this socket..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

hey guys my friend has a kt7a and we were insulating it for peltier cooling, now he had a 1.333 tbird and he wanted to upgrade to an xp1600 but like the tbird was stuck in the socket and took a long time to get out (later we found it was stuck there with some liquid electric tape..) well the socket holes were kinda dirtied with it (about 1/4 of them , just one side of the socket.) so we tried to clean it and stuff, we even took the socket cover off so we could get a better shot at it, but after hours of picking at it it still dont work.. i mean all the fans turn on n stuff, its like there was no cpu in it (we tried with n without) the chip is not fried for sure.. so i was wondering do they sell sockets so we could somehow replace the whole thing or do u have anything that like liquidates or acids this electric tape so we can get it outa there?

thanks a bunch

max

Try nail polish remover. Rinse it fast and get it out of there because it may destroy the plastic, but it will do so much slower than it will the gummy stuff.

It sounds more like ESD damage to me, though....

ElectroStatic Discharge. Zapped with static electricity. It may be OK, though.

By the way, you could test a drop of nailpolish remover on the corner of your socket and on some of the junk you scraped out. This would allow you to see how safe it is to use.

I think your best bet is cleaning the affected areas with a small piece of wire, and then dousing it with electrical contact cleaner, to get the goop out, and then maybe hitting it with some compressed air. If you're patient, I'm sure you can save the board. But if you get in a hurry....

Back