• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 TB (Terabyte) External hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

I was looking for a decent sized hard drive for files, backup etc that sort of thing... I would like it to work externally with my laptop so wither an external unit or enclosed casing would be ideal.

I was set on about 400GB however I came across a 1TB external drive at outpost for $650 with 2x500GB drives... my question is are they any good? Are they more reliable than single 400GB hard drives? Should one hard drive fail is the other still good? Can the hard drives be replaced?

Lots of questions, if anyone has one of these let me know what you think of it!

Thanks,

- Dan

Since it has 2 drives, then it is using Raid0. So, if one drive fails, you lose the data on the whole thing. Not sure about replacing the drives. For security, I wouldnt trust an external raid setup, especially if you plan to move it around. Those drives would just be inviting failure running raid and being mobile. Drop it once, and a drive fails, losing all of the data.

I don't know anything about this specific device, but I would be surprised if it was Raid 0 only. Pretty sure it would support Raid1 or JBOD, too.

Hmm, I wouldn't think it is raid at all. The setup is is 2x500GB hard drives to give you 1TB, wouldn't 2x500GB Raid 0/1 only give you 500GB...

I've had a 20GB lacie USB/Firewire portable for about 4 years now, dropped tens of times, been around the world with me, 10+ trans atlantic flights and it's still in perfect working order, perhaps they don't make them like they used too?

Graphicism said:
Hmm, I wouldn't think it is raid at all. The setup is is 2x500GB hard drives to give you 1TB, wouldn't 2x500GB Raid 0/1 only give you 500GB...

I've had a 20GB lacie USB/Firewire portable for about 4 years now, dropped tens of times, been around the world with me, 10+ trans atlantic flights and it's still in perfect working order, perhaps they don't make them like they used too?

Raid 0 would give you the full amount, 1Tb, Raid 1 would mirror and halve it to 500Gb.

What makes you think that it is using raid? It could be a JBOD, or even 2 drives. KISS.

Get 250-320 GB hard drives cheapest per GB and great for storage...buy some cheap external enclosures from newegg and you are set, maybe a USB hub to give you somewhere to leave 4 drives plugged in for 500$ you could have 4 drives over a TB.

Back