• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD and Intel Buyer's Guide 8/2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

One of the more common topics started by forum members who recently signed up or those wanting to upgrade are, "build me a new PC for $XXX". Usually there is a significant response in this type of thread because it is a good feeling to help someone stretch their dollars and its also fun to play with other people's money for "dream rigs" in the larger budget requests. While everyone's parts list will likely be different, we have put together a solid group of AMD and Intel builds that are a jack of all trades type system for almost any budget.

... Return to article to continue reading.

I expected 1333 RAM for the +$1500 category. Do the motherboards not support it, do you see it as unnecessary, or does the price difference make it not worth it.

1333Mhz ram? Thats slow/budget type ram...Did you mean 2133 or 1866 for the Intel side or 1600Mhz for AMD?

I know AMD doesnt like to play at 1600Mhz+ sometimes, but Intel will easily (Sandybrige). There isnt a point to faster than 1600Mhz memory really. There are barely any gains in real world situations. The PC's built here are jacks of all trades so to speak, and not benchmarking based. That is the only reason I would go above 1600Mhz. :)

1333Mhz ram? Thats slow/budget type ram...Did you mean 2133 or 1866 for the Intel side or 1600Mhz for AMD?

I know AMD doesnt like to play at 1600Mhz+ sometimes, but Intel will easily (Sandybrige). There isnt a point to faster than 1600Mhz memory really. There are barely any gains in real world situations. The PC's built here are jacks of all trades so to speak, and not benchmarking based. That is the only reason I would go above 1600Mhz. :)

yeah I meant the 1600+ like 1866, for some reason i thought 1866 was a socket and went with 1333.

Anyways, i expected there to be a minimal difference at a premium price.

I'd change the Sabertooth in AMD for a Gigabyte UD5.

The UD5 and UD7 having some voltage swings going on when under load. From what I have read and heard the Sabertooth is the better choice. I hope to be picking one up for testing on both typical OC and Extreme OC.

> Case: Antec Three Hundred – $94 + $14.99 SH

I don't see how it can be suggested to spend over a hundred dollars on a case, particularly on a budget system, particularly with sacrificing getting more memory, better video card, or monitor.

Like we said there will always be people that will choose differtent parts.

This guide is merely a collection of suggested system setups. Since this site is based off of overclocking, we have made sure we considered our parts with the intention of overclocking where apppropriate. Obviously, there are a plethora of options out there to fit your needs, so you may want to customize your hardware selections if doing further research.

Not only that we were sticking with newegg for simplicity sake...as well we mentioned to shop around. I wouldnt put my parts in such a cheap case either. they look hideous if there are even any priced that low, not to mention airflow concerns to cool components.

If it was desired to get it from newegg, it's $10 more: ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034&Tpk=antec%20430%20watt

> Case: Antec Three Hundred – $94 + $14.99 SH

I don't see how it can be suggested to spend over a hundred dollars on a case, particularly on a budget system, particularly with sacrificing getting more memory, better video card, or monitor.
PSU included...(thanks mattno!)

Who needs more than 4GB? Not many. ;)

Monitors are not inlucded in ANY builds. ;)

I understand you would choose something different, and thats OK. This guide, as mentioned above and inside of it is merely a 'suggestion' and to 'customize your hardware selections after doing further research'. ;)

Last edited:
I have 4GB. Ever play world of tanks? It would often crash or stall in starting a map, turns out closing browser, etc. fixed the problem. For $5-8 more, you can get 8GB of a different brand, like the Kingston hyper x 8GB listed for the $1100 Intel build, that takes care of such nuisances.

A system with 8GB, 560ti, and 1tb drive can be had for under the tally of the $650 Intel system, for $40-60 over, also have a 60gb corsair force series 3 SSD. Much better systems for roughly the same cost.

Nope, I dont play that game... never heard of it as a matter of fact. I hear what you are saying, but still for 90% of people even on here 4GB is still fine. Like the article said:
This guide, as mentioned above and inside of it is merely a 'suggestion' and to 'customize your hardware selections after doing further research'.

While everyone’s parts list will likely be different, we have put together a solid group of AMD and Intel builds that are a jack of all trades type system for almost any budget.

CONCLUSION

And with that everyone, this edition of the buyers guide is complete. I would imagine that there will be mentions of why choose this over that, or I would have chosen this over that. As we all discussed in the building of these machines, you are not going to please everyone all the time. The point of the article was to give a general idea of the parts you can buy from each camp at specific budget levels with overclocking and gaming in mind. Of course you will need to select parts more specific for your uses. For example, if you work with multiple resource intensive VM’s, you may want to look into more system ram or if you work with any program that can take as many cores as you can throw at it, you want to look at Hex cores or Hex’s with Hyperthreading (Intel). Or if you don’t overclock, don’t get more than the stock cooler and back off a bit on the motherboard. If you dont play games, go with an onboard GPU solution and drop the other vidoecard to save some money. Everyone’s needs will vary!

Thanks for your input! :)

Last edited:
Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.

Is this paid advertising? Given the sticking to suggestions very out of sync with the build purpose, it comes off as product pitching for vendors.

Nope.

Your argument is getting a $10-20 case so more RAM or better GPU can be added?

Personally, I'd like to have good airflow before dropping $15 on 8GB of RAM since 4GB is plenty for the vast majority of people. I'd also like good airflow before dropping a more powerful GPU in the system since that would be adding more heat (especially if overclocked), which would heat up the rest of your components. I don't know of $10-20 case with really good airflow, the 300 is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest case with really good airflow. That's why it is always suggested for builds where the case isn't a huge concern.

If someone really needs 8GB and/or a better GPU, I would get a non-SLI/CFX board before getting a $10-20 case. Single card solutions can handle the mainstream resolution of 1920x1080 (or lower) so a SLI/CFX board wouldn't be needed.

Basically, the individual needs to research and decide what is really needed for his system, and then make tweaks and adjustments as necessary.

Back