• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Voltage = BAD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

genjaguar

Well I'm not sure what is going on or if it means osmething. I'm trying to run 240HTT at 10x on the cpu at 1.525vcore. I'm also trying to run my RAM at 1:1 at 2.5-3-3-10. I ran memtest at 2.7vdimm overnight and in 33 passes it had just 1 error in test 7. I figured it means I should add some more voltage. So I tried prime blend test at 2.8vdimm and it fails within a minute. I then tried it at 2.5vdimm and it went 2-3 minutes. I raised it a little to 2.55vdimm and it ran for 10 minutes. What could this mean?

I have mushkin value ram w/o heat spreaders, and i feed it 24/7 3.0v. Some memory i guess just doesn't like higher voltages, or maybe you should loosen up your timings? My timings are 2.5, 4, 4, 7.

On certain memory you can safely run over 3.3 vdimm 24/7 with no issue, other than needing to add a fan over it to keep it cool. With your ram, im pretty sure the mushkin lvl2 v2 black is tccd. Some tccd responds to voltages over 3.0v and gains stability and higher overclocks. On the other hand, some TCCD actually does worse with voltages over 2.75 volts.

From what you have mentioned, i would go ahead and go up to a voltage of 2.9ish and see if you stailize. If that doesnt work do as was suggested and try loosening some of the timings a bit....

Would prime failing make it a cpu test or ram test. Memtest passes it with just 1 error so I figured the memory was fine.

Depending on how long you let memtest run, you may already be able to rule the memory out as the cause of prime failing. Prime can fail for any number of reasons. To truly rule the memory out as a possible culprit loop memtest test #5 for 8 hours. If memtest does not show any errors then your memory is more than likely good. At that point you should probably look at your processor and see what you can do to get it prime stable, lower the OC, up the voltage a tad, etc...

Back