• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XfX 7900gs bench

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DANNY-MAC

Registered
Ditched the 7500le and bought this today

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=10333&category_id=256&manufacturer_id=0

I have this tower

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...bIndex=1&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

And put in this old PSU i had upstairs

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4s525.html

Ran 3Dmark05 on stock 450/660 and got 7506

Using rivatuner got it up to 592/773 and this scored 9300

At stock the peak temp was 77C, but at peak overclock i could manage on stock cooling it was peaking at 84C.

Do you think this is too hot to run constantly?

I've wound it back to 549/761 for the time being, just to be safe.

you can always add better fans to your case. if your system is out of warranty, then you can always mode the case and add extra fans for better cooling.

Do NOT mod your case if you still have factory warranty. Just add better fans to replace the factory once.

Those temps seem good for that card. you can always improve it with aftermarket cooler.

Thanks for the replies.

One thing i will say about this card is that the fan is bloody loud and seems to be running on max all the time, even on 2d applications. In riva i have it set at 25% for standard 2D... 50% for low power 3D.... and 100% for perforamce 3D, but i have never heard the fan change speed at all.:confused:

How hard is it to put an aftermarket cooler on it and would it quieten it down a bit?

I have 1 fan on the back of the tower, 3 on the power supply and the obvious 1 on CPU and 1 on GPU.
Would it be worthwhile adding another to the side as an exhaust?

So many questions and so little knowledge:eek:

DANNY-MAC said:
Thanks for the replies.

One thing i will say about this card is that the fan is bloody loud and seems to be running on max all the time, even on 2d applications. In riva i have it set at 25% for standard 2D... 50% for low power 3D.... and 100% for perforamce 3D, but i have never heard the fan change speed at all.:confused:

How hard is it to put an aftermarket cooler on it and would it quieten it down a bit?

I have 1 fan on the back of the tower, 3 on the power supply and the obvious 1 on CPU and 1 on GPU.
Would it be worthwhile adding another to the side as an exhaust?

So many questions and so little knowledge:eek:

I am running a similar Card only by EVGA and in SLI. Just a few food for thoughts. Before you start adding aftermarket coolers to your GPU add a side exhaust. My stock coolers are keeping my cards at 47 idle and 68 full load running them at 590/780 on a coolbits OC. Case has a Front inlet, rear exhaust, side exhaust and top exhaust with a Zalman 9700 cpu cooler that moves alot of air for the cpu but creates negative airflow inside my case. The more exhaust you can add the better. Remember that the cards fans are not exiting the case. IF that doesn't work then take off the GPU heat sink and add Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound after removing all factory compound. That alone will drop your temps by 5 easy. You should be fine with even an agressive OC.

Hope this helps.:beer:

I got a palit 7900GS currently at 561/1530 standard air colling cant test it yet for stability but will when I get home :)

Last edited:
my XFX 7900GS went from stock 450/660 to 600/800 and its stable.....i love it!!

I could never get mine over 560 core, even with a dedicated bong cooler, and even at that, i got occasional artifacts so i had to bring it down to stock.

Back