• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop power issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

I got my buddy's HP laptop, wanted to fix it. He said all of a sudden it started turned off and now it wont start back up. I took my voltmeter and measured the voltage from the AC adapter and it was fine. AC adapter checks out. I plug it into the laptop and it starts chirping, making a repeated chirping sound. I unplug it from the laptop and the chirping goes away. I plug it back in, chirping returns. Any idea whats wrong?

I got my buddy's HP laptop, wanted to fix it. He said all of a sudden it started turned off and now it wont start back up. I took my voltmeter and measured the voltage from the AC adapter and it was fine. AC adapter checks out. I plug it into the laptop and it starts chirping, making a repeated chirping sound. I unplug it from the laptop and the chirping goes away. I plug it back in, chirping returns. Any idea whats wrong?

if i had to guess the part that the adapter plugs into on the laptop needs to be replaced, which means it has to be desolder and then resolder or if its under warranty you could send it in and have them replace the motherboard

try unplugging it, removing the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, let it sit for another 5 minutes, then plug only the ac adapter back in (do not put the battery in) and try and turn it on. If it turns on, you're fine.

the chirp is more likely the bios beeping and the speaker is going out.

If you haven't already try it without the battery...they sometimes fail and do some weird things.

try unplugging it, removing the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, let it sit for another 5 minutes, then plug only the ac adapter back in (do not put the battery in) and try and turn it on. If it turns on, you're fine.

the chirp is more likely the bios beeping and the speaker is going out.

the chirp is coming from the AC adapter brick actually

those universal things are junk... turns off immediately eh... sounds like it's shorting, does its troubleshooting or manual say whether that's what it is? might want to call the manufacturer and ask if not, just to be sure. If that's the case, the short could be anywhere in your power circuitry... or its a bad universal adapter (make sure it is supply enough voltage and at least the amount of amps it says on the bottom of your laptop).

Well...tried a new AC adapter. A universal. The light on the AC adapter turns off immediately after plugging it into the laptop with or without the battery @_@

Don't mean to be insulting but have you set the voltage and the polarity switch to the correct settings on the universal PS?

nah the Universal didnt have those settings...either it adjusts automatically or i dunno. Ive used it to work on a multitide of laptops and its always worked, even without those settings :shrug:

ive already given the laptop back...

the universal adapter works fine. I use it to work on a multitude of other laptops so i know for a fact, without a doubt, that its fine. The model series of the laptop is an HP DV9000 (or 6000...but im pretty sure it was 9000). 17 inch screen model. Took it apart and found that the DC jack assembly is its own unit that plugs into the motherboard with a cable, thus making it replaceable and if thats the cause of the issue, some local laptop repair shop can probably fix it for cheap i'd figure.

Back