• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]HDD vs SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

SSDs, the newest kid on the block, is trying to dethrone the big old HDD that?s been around for decades.

I'm sure many people have seen or read an article on the new SSDs and have seen benchmarks of how fast they are. I've been thinking about them a lot over the past 3-4 months, asked many questions, did research and finally came to the conclusion to pull the trigger.

Hardware Used

I7 920 @ 3.66 GHz, no HT, with 6 Gigs of RAM2x WD 640 Gig Black HDD in Raid0 (300 Gigs) & Raid1 (~440 Gigs); tests used Raid0 partition2x Intel X-25M 80 Gig Gen2 Drives solo and Ra... Return to Article

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah ment it mainly for OS/App related programs. Personally I really only use my SSD's in my main rig. Everything else is on a server and on Mech Drives.

Im thinking of pulling the trigger myself =P

It acts like a whole new system with a good SSD.

Case in point recently P4 D640 (3.2Ghz /w HT) replaced a failed 160Gig HDD with a 80Gig SSD. Difference... night and day. Loaded Win7 on it, ran smooth... even for such an old CPU it ran quiet well doing basic things (web, e-mail, word, etc).

Get a 120g SSD put your OS, Games, and a few apps on it. Than get a min of 2 drives and RAID them together (get 4 so you can use a RAID 5) and than use that for storage of your files.

On top of that I use a 200g laptop drive to make an image of my SSD every few weeks just incase it fails.

an SSD is def worth every penny

Last edited:
Get a 120g SSD put your OS, Games, and a few apps on it. Than get a min of 2 drives and RAID them together (get 4 so you can use a RAID 5) and than use that for storage of your files.

On top of that I use a 200g laptop drive to make an image of my SSD every very weeks just incase it fails.

an SSD is def worth every penny

get 4 for RAID5? Just need 3. Maybe you're thinking RAID6

Back