• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Newbie with yet another help me help me question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave26

Registered
LOL ok so its not soo much a *HELP ME* *HELP ME*, more a "Whats your opinion" question.

Umm around last week I made a post about OC settings, and got some good repsonses and I thank all those who helped me again. One member also suggested to post my system specs, to assist in the process of trouble shooting, which I am happy to say, I will provide in this post.

I currently have upgraded my whole PC, EXCEPT FOR, the CPU. I am still running my original 1.5ghz P4 that I got a while ago with the system. And since I spent most of my cash money for now on other upgrades, I am going to try and stay with my ol' 1.5 and see If I cant squeeze some more juice out of it.

So my question is, what is your guys's likely opinions on max OC cpu speeds can I shoot for based on this system configuration;

- RAIDMAX 'Scorpio' PC Case
- EverCool WC-201 AGP/CPU Water Cooling unit
- Artic Silver heat sink paste
- MSI 845E Max mobo
- 1.0 GB PC3200 DDR "ShikaRAM" memory
- Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1500mhz
- ATI Radeon 9600 128mb
- Maxtor 80GB HDD
- LG 4x 4040B DVD-Writer
- DVDROM 10x
- C-Media CMI8738 Audio Card
- Linksys NC100 Ethernet card
- Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2)
(Also 3 system fans, one side wall mounted, out two on the rear of the case)

Some also told me to post as much info I could find out about my CPU in general. So I booted up the newest version of "Aida32" and this is what I got;

CPU Type: Intel P4, 1500Mhz (3.75x400)
CPU Alias: P68, Willamette, A80528
CPU Stepping: C1
Orig. Clock Speed: 1500Mhz
L1 Trace Cache: 12k instructions
L1 Cache: 8 kb
L2 Cache: 256 kb (in-die, ATE, Full-Speed)

So yah, all I know that under my old system set up, 512MB ram no water cooler and a Nvidia TNTmodel 64 32mb card, I could stabily run at 1.8 Ghz. I didnt want to try for any more. But since I've upgraded considerablly over the week, I'm assuming/hoping I'll be able to pull the speed up.

So yah, what should I look at for a setting a MAX goal I suppose?

I appreciate ANY help, and give thanx here in advance.

BTW: Mobo BIOS is up to date from MSI)

i'd say you are lucky to have gotten 1.8 outta it.

willies are not the best oc'ers, actually they are kinda sad.

i've had 2 of them, a 1.8 that i had at 2.2, and a 2.0 that ran 2.4 everyday for 3 years (still is in a friends pc).

most willies won't do 2.0+. especially not ones that start out at 1.5ghz stock.

to really get a good oc, you are looking at a new chip. your mobo doesn't support 800fsb cpus, like a 2.4c (see my sig for a decent 2.4c OC), but you could get a really nice 2.0ghz northwood and have a look at 3.2+.

Yeah, I'm afraid those 1.5 Willies don't O/C that much. Probably about 1.7 gig on average, but that's better than nuttin'. I know where you can get a second hand 2.4B CPU really cheap. If you're interested, PM me.

Yah I had been reading on here that willies were poop, but atleast for a week till I get paid again (the benefit of 2 jobs ='s pay each week) im short on funds. And dont even know if I wanna spend more money on my pc. But then again, I dont want to keep running below 2.0.
The manual for the mobo says it can handle a P4 from 1.5 - 2.4. It then continues to say, I can use a faster P4, but those above 2.4 clock speed were never tested and are not gauranteed to work lol

So yah, batboy ill send u a pm here in a sec. I could defenetly use a "decent" processor, for a "decent" price lol :p

Back