• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan over CPU Heatsink ... connect to mobo or power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

When ordering a fan to put on a heatsink (thinking Panaflo 120mm M1A on SP-97), would it be best to connect the fan to the motherboard (NF7-S v2) or to the power supply? Which of the two options will allow an RPM reading (and as a side note, what is a good fan controller?).

I'm also wanting to set up between 7 to 9 Panaflo U1A 80mm case fans in this setup. What should they connect to, as well (and how should I run them through above mentioned fan controller if you had a suggestion for one)?

Thanks,
- Dave

SP-97 seems to need some cfm and pressure to get desired temps. The 120mm may not provide that for you.For safety reasons all fans and lites should be on a dedicated line of the PSU..Read sticky,"NO JOKE".:) You can wire a fans rpm wire separately to the cpu fan header on the mobo.What case do you have and what will the fan positions be in it? Sunbeam rheobus is a good no frills fan controller, capabule of handling many fans..:D

Someone recommended the 80mm Panaflo U1A for the HSF combination, and that puts out less CFMs than the 120mm M1A. What would you think would be a good working solution?

Oh, and I'll post some pics of the case later (it hasn't been cleaned in years and it has a lot of dust on the inside, but then, it's also got a PIII Slot 1 450Mhz CPU in it, so speed hasn't been a concern in a long time anyway. :D). I don't know the brand (or if it's even any major name brand) ... I bought it back in 1999.

I don't think that 120mm fans fit on the SP-97. I have the SLK-947U (like SP-97 without the heatpipes) w/ a 92mm Panaflo H1A. My temps are pretty good. I connect only my CPU fan and my Northbridge fan to my mobo headers, all my case fans go on a dedicated 7v modded PSU line, though you could use a fan controller instead. If you get a fan controller and only want to use one, get a 4-knob one and some fan connector (3-pin type) Y-splitters so you can hook two fans up to one knob (provided the controller has enough juice on each knob). A lot of people here use the Vantec Nexus (fan only version), though I wouldn't plug my CPU fan into it because it lets you turn the fans all the way to off.

Back