• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead HD's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spizzard

I woke up this morning and turned on my desktop. And low and behold, one of the two ide hard drives didn't show up in bios. No big deal, one was working. It had did this before so I just rebooted and checked my connections. Everything was fine, and as before when i did this, all I did is reseat my connections and it worked. Well, I did this again this time and nothing. Then I started messing with the jumpers to see if that was the problem. (when both hd's were running, ide detection would take about a minute+++ so I thought the jumpers might have been wrong.) But that didn't work. I looked at the manufacturer's website (Maxtor) to find the correct jumper settings. Nothing. Now i've messed with it for over an hour and got no where. All I can get now is one of the hard drives being detected in bios but under a messed up name. "Ma`ton" so i'm thinking something might have happened to it. Any idea what might have happened?

I'm going to try and unhook everything and replace it in the case to see if that helps.

ANy suggestions?

Hi, try using another set of cables and leaving the disk that does not start alone in its channel as a 'master'.

Regards

spizzard said:
All I can get now is one of the hard drives being detected in bios but under a messed up name. "Ma`ton" so i'm thinking something might have happened to it. Any idea what might have happened?

That's the classic symptom of two drives being configured as master or slave on the same channel. Contact Maxtor's tech support and obtain the correct jumper settings.

Back