• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vram and multi monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

I know that Vram does not scale in crossfire applications and for single screen applications 3gigs is enough anyway.

I run triple screens and here is what I was thinking.

I have a 7970 DCii. If I put in one of the Sapphire 7970 toxic 6gig cards and use it as the primary card, will I be able to make use of the extra Vram?

Is my logic faulty or is this a good route for triple screens?

your card is only as good as the best card from what ive heard, but afaik i was able to clock my two crossfire cards seperately from eachother and would effect performance. so it very well could work like that but i believe the memory will be what ever the lowest card is.

I thought crossfire used the Vram on the primary and ignored the crossfired card because that is where your outputs are.

hmmm

The exact same data is put into the memory on each card, so 3GB is the most that can be used by each card because it's the max amount of one of the cards.

*sigh I was just reading about that. My logic is faulty.

So in order for it to work I would need two of the Toxic cards.

Thanks for the replies and the smashing of my dreams. ;)

For multimonitor setup like that, 3GB is fine for each card. The 6GB on the toxic is a MONUMENTAL rip off.

True..... I just though I had found a use for one. :shrug:

I have been toying with the idea (read..deciding how much crap I'm willing to take from the wife.) of upgrading to the Catleap 27" monitors.

3 Catleaps might max out 3GB of vRAM. It's close though. Hard to say as there's not much real data out there for vRAM usage.

Back