• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux\windows OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcanman09

:confused:
i was reading a linked article
( cannot find that link now)
that microsoft is currently working on a linux version
of the VISTA operating system

if that is true
we are all S*****D
:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

yep
viruses , pop-up ads , malware , spyware
you name it:confused: :confused:

well apparently you don't understand how linux works. Also what you read I think, is that the following versions of Windows are taking a cue from Linux in the way it works, filesystem wise and what not. If they are true to Linux, then you need user permission before you can install anything. So the user by default is more aware.

true
i am a newbie to linux
hopefully i can find that link again
and re-read it again

so can you tell me which inkjet printer manufacturer
has native printer drivers imbedded in the operating system

i have a hp inkjet
and for the life of me
i cannot get it to work
linspire wont even detect it let alone use it

were you reading an article about the MS-Novell agreement? and use the HPLIP drivers and CUPS.

vulcanman09 said:
microsoft is currently working on a linux version
of the VISTA operating system
This makes no sense. Vista and windows are two different OSes, the only way to run one on top of the other is an emulator or virtualization.

Gnufsh said:
This makes no sense. Vista and windows are two different OSes, the only way to run one on top of the other is an emulator or virtualization.

You mean Vista and Linux, right? :D Cause, IIRC, Windows Vista is Windows. :beer:

i really think the thread starter was talking about the Novell/MS agreement and did not really mean that MS was actually making a linux distro. 1) that would be all over Slashdot if it were true, or even rumored, 2) MS would never do that, because it would undermind their Windows OS they've worked so hard on...but accepting that some people like to run linux servers in their office and helping make it so the linux servers can communicate with Windows servers does make some sense.

actually from what i read very quickly
( not enough time to read the whole thing through )

microshaft is in secret talks with novell
to write code in linux
basically to make a windows vista version
based on the linux operating system core files
( which core it did not state )
i can no longer find that link

i have to start writing down important links
from now on

i will post back if i ever do find it again

vulcanman09 said:
so can you tell me which inkjet printer manufacturer
has native printer drivers imbedded in the operating system

i have a hp inkjet
and for the life of me
i cannot get it to work
linspire wont even detect it let alone use it

I use turboprint to get all the features of my canon working such as duplex printing and CD printing

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

vulcanman09 said:
oh? this link does not look good

future lawsuits against other linux programmers

microshaft sues all of the progrmmers
for patent infringement
thus forcing them out of business
so linux users are forced to switch back to windows

and only corporations can use suse linux open source o.s.`

i can just see that now

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2050848,00.asp

your misunderstanding the agreement

Microsoft will now recommend SUSE Linux Enterprise for customers who want Windows and Linux together.The two companies are going to create a joint research facility at which Microsoft and Novell technical experts will architect and test new solutions with customers and the open source community, including virtualisation solutions, web services and service-oriented architectures (SOA), and interoperability between office productivity applications.
They have also promised to provide each other's customers with patent coverage for their respective products. Microsoft and Novell will each provide covenants that promise not to assert their respective patent rights against customers who have purchased or licensed products from the other.
Its a business agreement and nothing more..

Microsoft can never own Linux simply because of the GPL licence and to sue anybody you have to prove copyright infringement which yet to be proved and if this was done so, the offending code would simply be removed and replaced.

This is the section of the agreements that people are worried about
The patent cooperation agreement enables Microsoft and Novell to give customers assurance of protection against patent infringement claims. It gives customers confidence that the technologies they use and deploy in their environments are compliant with the two companies’ patents.

As part of this agreement, Microsoft will provide a covenant not to assert its patent rights against customers who have purchased SUSE Linux Enterprise Server or other covered products from Novell, and Novell will provide an identical covenant to customers who have a licensed version of Windows or other covered products from Microsoft.

it means that Microsoft will not sue Novell customers and likewise Novell will not sue Microsoft customers related to patent issues... it makes no reference or suggestion that there is Microsoft code in Linux.

Read the whole agreement at the following URL :-
http://www.novell.com/news/press/item.jsp?id=1196

Last edited:
Its Microsoft doing FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) again for a better perspective of the patent issues surrounding linux read the following URL

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1729908,00.asp

"There is no reason to believe that GNU/Linux has any greater risk of infringing patents than Windows, Unix-based or any other functionally similar operating system. Why? Because patents are infringed by specific structures that accomplish specific functionality," - Dan Ravicher, author of the study Microsoft cites

The study shows that when it comes to software, open-source varieties face fewer patent threats than proprietary ones, Ravicher said. "If one believes the proof is in the pudding, open-source software has much less to worry about from patents than proprietary software."

"Consider this—not a single open-source software program has ever been sued for patent infringement, much less been found to infringe. On the contrary, proprietary software, like Windows, is sued and found guilty of patent infringement quite frequently.

Its also worth remembering that HP offers its Linux customers indemnification. So do Red Hat and IBM have publicly promised to use their extensive patent portfolios to protect Linux customers.

Last edited:
Back