• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speed vs timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Willy8382

Registered
Is there some form of rough math that one can do to tell if one ram setting is faster than another. say like 1333@ 7 7 7 vs 1600@ 9 9 9 so you dont have to run bench marks all the time.

There is no formula for calculating transfer rate between different frequencies and timings, although booting to Memtest or Memtest86+ can give you a theoretical peak transfer rate measured in MB/s, which can be used to quickly gauge any DRAM related changes.

The other complication here is that it will vary with the application somewhat. Frequency and timing both affect "speed". It might be better to refer to frequency as bandwidth rather than speed.

Thanks for the replys. Thought i could get a short cut but I guess its just trail and error.
Part of the fun anyways.

This is something I am trying to figure out for a budget gamer build I'm attempting to put together.

Its pretty much trial and error at first.. Dont forget to write your results for each setting you try. It can get confuseing after awhile, and you could find yourself repeating old mistakes :D

Once you get the hang of it its not so bad. Thats when you start playing with sub timeings and other things you normally wouldnt:attn:

Keep your windows disk (or usb) handy :D

keep in mind trail and error will be for the application you are testing only.

Application A and Application can have VERY different results.

In General

1, RAM SPEED
2, Primary TIMING
3, Command Rate
4, Secondary TIMING (I don't know of anyone that touch this)

Back