• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling all 200MHz-ers out there!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClayMan

Registered
That means you, if your DDR is running at 400MHz or higher!!

-What type of RAM is it? (brand, speed, size, revision, etc. etc.)
-What setup? (mobo? voltages? i.e. EPOX slows down memory timings at high FSBs so it can go higher)
-What memory timings? (2-2-2-5-1, or slower?)
-Did you have to "burn it in" to get it to run so high? How did you do it?

You see, my goal for this summer is 200MHz at 2-2-2-5-1... I'm stuck between getting 512mb of "rated" PC3200 stuff (even kingsmax has PC3200 at CAs2.5) or getting a stick of genuine Samsung PC2700, which is cheaper and known for it's o/cing.

Stay away from Mushkin right now... THere not using the same chips that were producing great overclocks back when wiht the Rev C Samsung chips. There using Rev D DTL samsung.. I have already talked to there head tech over at Muhskin and thats what he was telling me plus the fact that i recieved 2 256MB sticks of PC300 from them Friday and they suck worse then Smasung Original Rev D DTL. Only one stick will do a FSB of 170 max settings with max voltage of 1.85.. Plus they must be thinner then 6 layer PCB.. Cause there thinner then the samsung i had that was 6 layers.. I even compared them by holding them side by side. Also the mushkin goes in way too easy unlike the Samsung Original that i have to push like somehting else to seat in the slot.

Dont even think Kingmax 3200... I had 2 sticks of that and it sucked just as bad..

I dont know what that is out there right now that could do what you want besides maybe Corsair... though theres a chance you might get Rev D Samsung chips on that if ya get the older REV below 2.1.

Mushkin is a great company and its not there fault totaly that there stuff stinks at the moment... Just that thats what there getting from Samsung to put on there sticks. Plus there in talks right now as to getting something that will get them higher yeilds.

I've had my Corsair XMS2700 up to 200 with 2.5-3-3-7. I couldn't set it higher cause I had to trick this damn Asus board to get to 200Mhz in the first place.

KnownKiller said:
Stay away from Mushkin right now... THere not using the same chips that were producing great overclocks back when wiht the Rev C Samsung chips. There using Rev D DTL samsung.. I have already talked to there head tech over at Muhskin and thats what he was telling me plus the fact that i recieved 2 256MB sticks of PC300 from them Friday and they suck worse then Smasung Original Rev D DTL. Only one stick will do a FSB of 170 max settings with max voltage of 1.85.. Plus they must be thinner then 6 layer PCB.. Cause there thinner then the samsung i had that was 6 layers.. I even compared them by holding them side by side. Also the mushkin goes in way too easy unlike the Samsung Original that i have to push like somehting else to seat in the slot.

Dont even think Kingmax 3200... I had 2 sticks of that and it sucked just as bad..

I dont know what that is out there right now that could do what you want besides maybe Corsair... though theres a chance you might get Rev D Samsung chips on that if ya get the older REV below 2.1.

Mushkin is a great company and its not there fault totaly that there stuff stinks at the moment... Just that thats what there getting from Samsung to put on there sticks. Plus there in talks right now as to getting something that will get them higher yeilds.
jeez. you just can't catch a break.

Actually (Per a conversation I had with Mike F. at mushkin about a month ago regarding the PC300+ sticks)..

Mushkin is having horrible supply problems (locating the unused CTL samsung) regarding these sticks... however I believe that KnownKiller may have misinterpreted the information... all memory that Mushkin releases is good, however they are in short supply. So, Mushkin is still a safe bet if you can find it at a good price (Why do you think that they are not releasing a 512MB PC3200... it would not be a good business decision given the availbility of the CTL memory and limited profit margin due to cost of CTL.

Hope this clears that up.

No i didnt get the info wrong cause he told me that my stick of 2100 was infact DTL thats why its not as good as what that 2100 usually gets meaning 185-200fsb.. Plus he told me that the PC3000 that was coming to me was also DTL and laughed about it all ..heh. He told me that was the prob right now that Mushkin changed something on there stick without telling anyone and that was the fact that there using DTL not CTL samsung chips.

So.. with that above the PC3000 does not do its rated speed of 185 slowest timings. Even at the max voltage of 2.85v.

hmmm. thats news to me They must have changed things recently... about a month ago they just simply were selling off existing stock and searching for new sources for CTL... but not producing and new chips... That decision (replace CTL with DTL) does not seem to be inline with what Mushkin has come to stand for... This upsets me, I hope that this doesn't become habit for them...:temper:

Either way... I've order a stick of Corsair XMS3200 rev 2.1 (I hope! Newegg has been shipping rev 2.1)which has the winbond chips (which are suposedly going to be used in the soon to be released DDR400 CAS 2)...

Brian

I'm using the Corsair XMS3000 cas 2 ddr
Epox-8k3a+ ddr running at 2.8v
2-3-3-5-1
Burned it in a little but don't know if it helped.
Currently running at 201 mhz fsb.

Wow, thanks for all the replies..

For now it looks like I might wait a bit then, until the DDR3200 CAS2 stuff comes out. or maybe even a bit later. (when does the "next big thing" come out? i.e. when's nforce2 and the KK400?)

hopefully by then DDR prices come back down by then... ;0 it sucks, the week i start to tempting myself again to get a new computer, DDR prices just HAVE to break the status quo and go UP in price... pretty damn dramatically too.

Mr C:

Three questions:
  1. Which revision of the Ram or you running 1.1, 1.2 or 2.1?
  2. What color is the Heat Spreader (Platinum or Black)?
  3. Where did you get it?
    [/list=1]

Thanks

Brian

Back