• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Memtest settings vs. Bios settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mirage_Man

Registered
So I just picked up some OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum rev.2 RAM, 1G (2X512) to be exact. I ran OCZ's version of Memtest to find out what the tightest timings I coul run without any errors. Well I ried 2-3-2-5 at 220 FSB and it ran fine, no errors.

However when I applied those timing to the BIOS and tried to boot up I got the screaming chick saying, "System failure due to CPU overclocking" message. What does this mean? I really could use some help here because I am a complete newb when it comes to overclocking.

BTW Vdimm was set at 2.75V. Since I really didn't think that increasing the voltage would make much a of a diiference for timings at that low of a FSB I haven't tried upping it to 2.85. If you guys think that will help I'll give it a go.

Here is my set up...

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.6C 512mb 800FSB
Thermalright XP-90 HS w/Panaflo HO 92mm fan
1G (2X512) PC3200 OCZ Platinum EL Rev2
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb
WD Raptor 37G (WinXP PRO)
Samsung SATA 160G HDD (Storage)
Samsung ATA 160G HDD (Storage)
Enermax Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA 2.0 (485W)
NEC 3500 DVD-RW
Lite On 1633 DVD-RW
Sony DVD-ROM
Mitsumi Floppy
Thermaltake Tsunami case

Tebore said:
Whoa OCZ has their own Memtest now? I wanna see a copy of this.

Well it's actually a version of the standard Memtest86...

It can be seen and downloaded HERE .

Any ideas about my problem?

Oh yeh sorry about that, I just thought OCZ had released a new program to test stability, got a bit excited there.

Are you sure your CPU isn't the limiting factor? The 2.6C were some of the worst P4 overclockers.

Tebore said:
Oh yeh sorry about that, I just thought OCZ had released a new program to test stability, got a bit excited there.

Are you sure your CPU isn't the limiting factor? The 2.6C were some of the worst P4 overclockers.

Yeah, I've had the FSB up to 240 stable at looser timings. I was currently running at 230 FSB with 2.5-3-3-6 perfectly stable. Ran Prime overnight and several other burn in programs without any problems. I just wanted to see how tight I could get and at what max FSB, then see what kind of difference it made in performance .

I guess my question being the newb I am is...does the CPU have anything to do with those tight timings at the given FSB? I mean since it ran fine in Memtest but not when the BIOS setttings were changed and an attempted boot into Windows failed? :confused:

Back