• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nathaN_

Registered
Hi, I'm new to these forums so im sorry a thread similar like this has been posted, i've tried searching.

Basically, I'm getting a ATI x800XT or SE for christmas, and im wondering if it will run on my computer ?

Processor > AMD Athlon 2800+

Motherboard > Asus M848A AMD ( Up to 3200+ )

My power supply unit is around 300? or 250, I;m not hundred percente sure.

All i'd like to know is , will i be able to just fit it in and install drivers, then go, or will my computer blow up ? ;]

Thanks
Nathan

there's a big difference between the XT and the SE. Also, your power supply (if it IS a 300) will not likely power the XT. As long as you have an AGP slot that is compatible with a fx5600 then it should be up to par with the newer agp cards. Since you are going from one GPU brand to another, you should definitely remove the old drivers. (search on here for the right piece of software to remove nvidia drivers) personally, i do a fresh install, but i'm kind of OCD like that. Did you build your box or did you buy it pre-built? I ask becasue it's not likely that your PSU is as small as 300W if you have an athlon 2800 and a fx5600 on it.

Additionally, the XT will be overkill for your current setup, because you only have 512 MB of ram, and your CPU will bottle neck that card to some degree. Are you planning to add anything else to your rig with the new card? (I'd add another 512 stick of RAM at least)

I'm sure i'm forgetting something... i dunno

hope this helps.

Yeh, i just checked, it's 350WATT

Also, whats bad about the setup, just the RAM? im getting a extra 256 yeah, hopefully 512, doubt i have enough though.

Is my processor alright?

And, ill be getting it for xmas, so basically, i remove ALL nvidia stuff, then turn pc off, pull card out, insert ATI one in, then install that cards drivers? cheers for help mate

Ok iam feeling nice today.

Your Processor is ok, not brilliant, but adequate. Though a x800XT would be overkill.

Id reccommend a X800Pro or 6800GT or even a 9800Pro or 6800. If you did this, you could upgrade your memory as well, for a total of 1Gig.

If your from the UK like your addy says, i have loads of good UK sites i use, would be better than whoever is buyign it for xmas being ripped off froma high street store.

What make is your Power Supply. 350Watt should be enough, if it's not, well then you'd have no choice but to upgrade it, or send the card back. :cool:

If your going from Nvidia to ATI, you should download a program called Driver Cleaner 3:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Bascially you uninstall the card from add/remove programs, re-boot use driver cleaner, install ATI drivers, re-boot and bingo.

Yeh, k cool

But i would of prefered a decent top of the range card like x800XT, so i dont have to upgrade for a VERY VERY long time.

Connect3D ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-023-CO)

Was the one i was thinking of getting..

I not got a clue what make the PSU Is

Ill copy what it ses on it

CTK | SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
MODEL : LC-B350ATX

INPUT 115V-8A 60/50HZ
230V-4A

OUTPUT:350W

So, is it a deffinetly no no to the x800xt, thats what i want to be honest :-(

Well it will still rock, but it will be slowed down a fair bit with your CPU, though as higher res's and AA/AF you will notice the XTPE more.

Really up to you.

I think a X800Pro/6800GT and more memory would be a better upgrade.

Right.

I'm getting a 450/500 watt, and a x800XT from Connect3D for £330.

Also extra 512DDR ram, so hopefully i will have in the end

AMD 2800+ (2080)
Connect 3D X800xt
1024PC3200 400mhz+
40GB HD DRIVE YEA BABY! :)
450/500WATT PSU

Thats ok innit? Just the processor a LIL ! ;)

i would definitely o/c the crap out of that CPU... as long as you have good cooling you should be good to go. and congrats on the new hardware, it should rock for you.

When i mentioned about the PSU, i got a little mixed up!

I'm looking for a PSU that will handle (x800 amd 2800 1024ram) for around £30-50 if possibly.

Back