• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Npetune3000

Greetings:

I ordered the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB hard drive at outpost during their thanksgiving sale. After rebates I am getting it for 69bucks.

I was wondering how it stacked up against similar HDs as far as reliability. I recall hearing these drives fail left and right, but i cant find any tangible sources.

The drives comes in tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should have it returned or not. At the time I bought it, it seemed like a good deal. But now I need the money for "other things(xmas" and I'm not sure if this drive is reliable enough to worth the risk.

Any comments?

I have used Seagate's a lot and i personally have never had one fail on me yet. I just bought the Seagate Barricuda 7200 300GB Sata150 and i paid $120. so i would say you got a good deal so keep it. :)

I have the 200gb 7200.8 SATA that was used for about a month in a server environment and I have no problems to date. It's not as quiet as my 7200.4 but it's fast.

Previously had an old 30GB Baracuda which ran perfectly and is now 5 years old and running fine. I have had two 40GB ATA IV drives, of which one is in my server now and the other I am giving to a friend. In my machine I have a 120GB Samsung, and a 200GB SATA 7200.7 and 200GB PATA 7200.8 - all three drives are pretty damn quiet and none have failed on me (being ~2 years, ~7months and ~1 month old).

I have two of those exact drives except that they're SATA drives in my system in RAID 0 and these drives pretty much fly and stay silent at the same time. I haven't had any problems with them at all either - two of the best hard drives i've ever invested in. :)

I have a couple Seagate 7200.8 250gb sata drives (non-raid setup) and an 80gb 7200.7 IDE. Compared to the IDE the sata drives are quiet. I have spire HDD coolers on them so they hover at 28-32deg. I can't hear them at all except for an occasional mouse-like click or two under very heavy I/O load. I've had the IDE drive for about 3 years now and it still works fine.

The 7200.8's have given me zero problems [knock on wood] in 6 months. The maxtor I had before though... :mad:

Npetune3000 said:
Greetings:

I ordered the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB hard drive at outpost during their thanksgiving sale. After rebates I am getting it for 69bucks.

I was wondering how it stacked up against similar HDs as far as reliability. I recall hearing these drives fail left and right, but i cant find any tangible sources.

The drives comes in tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should have it returned or not. At the time I bought it, it seemed like a good deal. But now I need the money for "other things(xmas" and I'm not sure if this drive is reliable enough to worth the risk.

Any comments?

I have heard the opposite, Seagates are among the most reliable drives, with mechanical problems almost non-existant and some minor firmware problems in earlier models.
In terms of drives purchased, failure rates are BELOW 1%. So if 1000 drives are purchased, less than 10 will fail under warranty. The only drives this doesn't really apply to is the IBM "deathstar", with failure rates of 20-50% :bang head
The Hitachi drives however, are average/normal drives. With the usual VERY low failure rate. Motherboard failure rates are about 3-5%, for comparison.
I don't really understand how people can have drives that fail all the time, unless they put a heater on the drive, I don't get it. Of the 7 drives CURRENTLY running right now, one is 10 years old, one is 5 years old and the rest are from 4 years-2 weeks old. Not a single failure or problem.

If you go on a forum and ask "what company makes the WORST drives" just look at 30 posts. There is a thread here with that exact heading, one person will say "I HATE Western Digital, nothing but problems". Then the next person will say they LOVE WD. This happens when something has <1% fail rate.
IMO, most of drive failure is due to shipping damage or heat.

I know segate has good drives. I just heard that these 300gig version ones have had a lot fo issues

Npetune3000 said:
I know segate has good drives. I just heard that these 300gig version ones have had a lot fo issues

That could be, I was just mentioning how low the likelihood that you would get a bad drive is. Unless a drive is using totally new technology (like the IBM deathstars were), mechanical problems shouldn't be an issue.

Back