• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 2900XT 1 gig to get samsung ICs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
is that better, worst or the same as the Hynix used now? For example what is the latency difference?
The IC's that I am reading are the K4U52324QE-BC06.
The IC's you posted are GDDR3. K4J52324QE

Last edited:
ECH said:
is that better, worst or the same as the Hynix used now? For example what is the latency difference?
The IC's that I am reading are the K4U52324QE-BC06.
The IC's you posted are GDDR3. K4J52324QE

Awh copied and pasted the wrong number. Gotta stop doing this stuff at 2:00 in the morning lol. The
correct number for Samsungs is K4U52324QE-BC09. That is what the 2900XT 1Gb OEM cards had.

Have no idea if the Hynix will be any better or worse since their DDR4 is still pre-production. They do
not have a datasheet out for em. You may never see a 1Gig card with Hynix as they would just be a
backup supplier if Samsung had some kind of issue that prevented them from delivering.

Viper

Is ATi ever going to switch to the BC06 from the BC09 talk of it happening is going around? This would be a quite nice speed bump where BC06 = 0.6ns BC09 = 0.9ns, 1.6ghz would be nice :drool: The current K4U52324QE-BC09 is the lowest binned speed for the K4U52324QE-BC0x series where x ranges from 6-9 with the lower numbers being faster.

Samsung part #'s:
Part Number-------------Max Freq.----------------Max Data Rate
K4U52324QE-BC06--------1.6GHz------------------3.2Gbps/pin

K4U52324QE-BC07--------1.4GHz------------------2.8Gbps/pin

K4U52324QE-BC08--------1.2GHz------------------2.4Gbps/pin

K4U52324QE-BC09--------1.1GHz------------------2.2Gbps/pin

but yes viper is right they are currently using the BC09

Last edited:
BossBorot said:
Is ATi ever going to switch to the BC06 from the BC09 talk of it happening is going around? This would be a quite nice speed bump where BC06 = 0.6ns BC09 = 0.9ns, 1.6ghz would be nice :drool: The current K4U52324QE-BC09 is the lowest binned speed for the K4U52324QE-BC0x series where x ranges from 6-9 with the lower numbers being faster.

No on the 2900's. What would be the point??? You only need so much memory bandwidth at
a given GPU speed and using higher speed chips, 16 of them no less, would only increase the
card cost. That would be drastic with the BC06 chips as they are low yield and expensive as
hell compared to the 09's or 08's.

I got 1197Mhz clean out of the BC09's modded and the memory appeared to be capping on the
GPU's memory controllers (or the PCB's trace layout) ability to OC and not the chips themselves.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
No on the 2900's. What would be the point??? You only need so much memory bandwidth at
a given GPU speed and using higher speed chips, 16 of them no less, would only increase the
card cost. That would be drastic with the BC06 chips as they are low yield and expensive as
hell compared to the 09's or 08's.

I got 1197Mhz clean out of the BC09's modded and the memory appeared to be capping on the
GPU's memory controllers (or the PCB's trace layout) ability to OC and not the chips themselves.

Viper

Hello all, my first post and I am so stoked I found this thread...

ViperJohn you seem so knowledgable on this subject and I hope you can help me make my mind up...

I currently have the Diamond 2900 xt 512mb version. But I have it sold if I choose. My question is, is the Sapphire 1gb currently on sale @ newegg worth the extra money? Someone there posted about the different memory chips and I could find no info until I actually searched for the "Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC09 " in google and found this thread...

And I qoute from newegg:

"Other Thoughts: Please be advised there appears to be 2 versions of this video card. 1 comes with Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC09 which is 1.1GHz @ 2.2Gbps. The other is Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC06 which is 1.6GHz @ 3.2Gbps. According to Samsung Press release dated June 28, 2007. I (and assume others) would like to buy this card using the "better" ram. So any information from users who purchased the card or others would be appricated. "

Anyway this made me apprehensive to say the least but it sounds like you really understand your hardware. You are saying that they will not put the BC06 on this card and if so the question again is does the 1GB version really have that much over the 512mb version...

Thanks in advance for the great informative thread...

Last edited:
MarcusTaz said:
Hello all, my first post and I am so stoked I found this thread...

ViperJohn you seem so knowledgable on this subject and I hope you can help me make my mind up...

I currently have the Diamond 2900 xt 512mb version. But I have it sold if I choose. My question is, is the Sapphire 1gb currently on sale @ newegg worth the extra money? Someone there posted about the different memory chips and I could find no info until I actually searched for the "Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC09 " in google and found this thread...

And I qoute from newegg:

"Other Thoughts: Please be advised there appears to be 2 versions of this video card. 1 comes with Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC09 which is 1.1GHz @ 2.2Gbps. The other is Samsung memory IC: K4U52324QE BC06 which is 1.6GHz @ 3.2Gbps. According to Samsung Press release dated June 28, 2007. I (and assume others) would like to buy this card using the "better" ram. So any information from users who purchased the card or others would be appricated. "

Anyway this made me apprehensive to say the least but it sounds like you really understand your hardware. You are saying that they will not put the BC06 on this card and if so the question again is does the 1GB version really have that much over the 512mb version...

Thanks in advance for the great informative thread...

The standard chip for the 1024mb is the BC09. I suspect the card with "06's" were actually 09's and
who ever had it read it upside down lol. It is possible on a fluke that some -06 chips found there way
onto some cards but that would have been either an accident or a miss ship by Samsung. In any
case the R600 wouldn't get anything out of having 06 chips as the cores can't clock anywhere near
high enough to need the bandwidth and that is assuming the cores memory controllers could clock
to 1600mhz which they can' t...not even close.

Viper

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch man for the explanation. Can you tell me if you think the 1GB version is worth it over the 512? I know it may sound like a silly question but looking at some of the benchmarks, I do not see a sustantial huge increase in FPS. Help me make up my mind if you would please:beer: .

Thanks!

MarcusTaz said:
Thanks a bunch man for the explanation. Can you tell me if you think the 1GB version is worth it over the 512? I know it may sound like a silly question but looking at some of the benchmarks, I do not see a sustantial huge increase in FPS. Help me make up my mind if you would please:beer: .

Thanks!

Most relevant question to ask you is... what resolution do you game at? Also, will you be planning to keep the card for a long time or will you be upgrading again when the next best card comes out?

Ok my specs are as follows:

Asus A8R32MVP Deluxe
AMD X2-4800+ 2.8GHZ swiftech water cooled
2x1gb corsair 3500LL pro @ 506mhz
2900 XT 512mb (thinkning about the 1gb verison)
Antec 650 Watt tri rail PSU
Antec P180
WD 150gb Raptor
XFI Fatality Pro Series
Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w3se

Do I plan on keeping it for a while... I try... :beer:

I game @ 1920x1080p

Thanks!

First thing, which I know is not part of your question is that you will not notice much difference because of your processor. Your frame rate will be more processor bound because I would have to say that even at 1920x1080 you will be bottlenecked by your proc more than your card.

However, with an Oc'd Core2 you will notice a difference in the 1gb version and the 512 mb version IF you are playing a game that is heavily texture dependent in maybe DX10. I don't see DX9 games pushing those cards hard enough to notice much difference between 512mb and 1gb.

JM2C

Ok I understand. I will be upgrading, but for now I am sticking with this setup till the Phenom procs are out.. Unless Intel really does cut prices bigtime on 7/22, then I will consider their quad core quite possibly...

So you would say the 1GB card is worth the money....

MarcusTaz said:
Ok I understand. I will be upgrading, but for now I am sticking with this setup till the Phenom procs are out.. Unless Intel really does cut prices bigtime on 7/22, then I will consider their quad core quite possibly...

So you would say the 1GB card is worth the money....

You mean the PheBomb right lol.

Viper

Ah yea we will have to wait and see what AMD does. But this competition does help us out as Intel tries to kill AMD....

At any rate you really think my proc is a bottleneck?? For real?? Serious this is a humble question...

Ok, well I think I am going to make the switch.. The Q6600 is on sale @ frys for 299.99 boxed chip. Now the question is, should I go with the 975x chipset for future crossfire or the 965x. I want to go with an Asus board so I was looking at the newer Commando 965x or the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP975X. Also I am considering the Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 modules Model BL2KIT12864AA804.

ViperJohn can you give me your professional opinion which Mobo would suite me best for a crossfire rig in the future?

Thank again...

MarcusTaz said:
Ok, well I think I am going to make the switch.. The Q6600 is on sale @ frys for 299.99 boxed chip. Now the question is, should I go with the 975x chipset for future crossfire or the 965x. I want to go with an Asus board so I was looking at the newer Commando 965x or the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP975X. Also I am considering the Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 modules Model BL2KIT12864AA804.

ViperJohn can you give me your professional opinion which Mobo would suite me best for a crossfire rig in the future?

Thank again...

Wait until July 22nd. The Q6600 is going down to $250.

No clue on a CF MB. I am using an eVGA 680i (A1rev) here which is of course an SLI MB.

Viper

Yes, but that series is so young and the reviews I have read on the P35 series are not that good. Besides the gain in DDR3 is marginal from what I read and not worth the expenditure at this time.

Yea ViperJohn a further price drop eh?? Well I ordered it already but if it drops I will call for a price match or send it back... :>))

Back