• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which piece to "upgrade"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

my friends building a reasonably inexpensive system, which right now is gonna have a 2.8c, AI7 mobo, 512ddr400, and radeon 9600pro. if he only had like 150 more bucks to spend which parts should he make better. 9800pro would be $77 more, 3.0c would be $41 more, and 1 gig ram would be $100 more. which should he upgrade; dont get confused, he hasnt bought the system yet, but hes got 150 more and he wants to improve somewhere. if you think its REALLY necessary he can go over. but i wanted ur opinion.

thanks

i would suggest and amd but i might flamed but heh oh well why not jsut get 2600M and abit nf7-s or dfi inifinity ultra 512 ram and some other vid card like 9800pro or perhaps even more if budget allows him ? would be a lot cheaper with right adjustment it can be almost on par with intel, on my suggestion

haha, yes i was expecting an amd response, which is fine, but we are sticking with the intel. thats what he wants and i have no objections.

basically im looking for either a suggestion of:

3.0c and 9800pro
1gig and 9800pro
3.0c and 1 gig

or perhaps, all three.

now that you clarified it i say 1gb and 9800pro good combo why 3.0c because 2.8c can alwayws o/c too, but you cant get ram to magically become 1gb hehe

I say ram and the 9800 pro. It would only be 27 bucks more and getting a 3.0 instead of a 2.8 isnt a huge difference...

how fast is the ram? would the 1 gig upgrade be dual channal or running standard? if its an option id maybe get faster ram(corsair XMS? or maybe even higher clock?) and then get the vid card if you still have money.

Back